YABEE doesn't support latest stable version of Blender (Blender 2.8)

Just putting this here.
The exporter won’t work at all.

I managed to get it work in Blender 2.80 (some features are missing yet)

Currently, it doesn’t export multiple textures and multiple materials, but I’m working on it. Feel free to test and open issue.

5 Likes

Welcome, great work!!!
How about the animation?

Very neat indeed! Thank you for your work on this! :smiley:

[edit]
If I may ask, the readme on your GitHub page has the following caveat:

Use this version of YABEE carefully. It may contain bugs and may not work for objects with complex node system applied

Could you elaborate on what would constitute a “complex node system”, please? I want to evaluate whether this might be a problem for my level-building work, should I switch to using 2.8 at some stage.

It’s when you add something more than UVMap and Texture Image in the node tree.

I didn’t change anything like armature and animations. I made changes for materials, textures and UV, also texture baking because there is no internal render.

So animations should work as they’re working in legacy YABEE (for Blender 2.7).

Just do backup of your blend files first or revert the project after exporting. It may break something I don’t know yet. But it should export single-mesh character fine.

UPD: Exporting multmeshed character

My multimeshed rigged character using multple textures in pview (Panda3D) (Particle-made hair has no texture, unsupported yet)

UPD 2: Updated README about export instructions.
https://github.com/kergalym/YABEE

1 Like

Ah, I see! I thought that you were talking about the node-hierarchy of the models themselves, rather than of the shaders applied to them.

Hmm… Does Blender 2.8 still have non-shader-node materials (the default sort in Blender 2.7, I believe), and if so, does this version of YABEE work with those? And if it does, does it support multiple textures applied in that way?

Ah, that’s good to know. :slight_smile:

Heh, I recall a similar caveat from the earlier days of the old YABEE. It is in fact my habit to revert after every YABEE export already–although I’ll admit that I do sometimes forget.

In Materials you can disable using nodes, but I don’t know what it does for 2.8

No. It takes materials & textures only from a node tree (Principled BSDF)

Ah, I see! In that case I’d better not switch, then, as it would mean reworking quite a lot, including my general workflow, I fear! o_o;

Okay, thank you for the answer! :slight_smile:

Anyway I will investigate if there is way to use materials in “non-shader” mode

1 Like

Fair enough, and thank you! :slight_smile:

Ok, I found that disabling “Use Nodes” option makes object material working without nodes. I implemented so-called Non-Shader Mode for materials, but currently it works for PBR render pipelines only. I think there is same way for textures.

1 Like

Okay. A pity about PBR-only, but that does sound like progress, to me! (At least for workflows like mine.) :slight_smile:

Anyway, can you give me some of your work if you can, something for testing purposes?
I just don’t how exactly you made your models materials (egg file structure of your model is more important).

Hmm… I don’t have 2.8 installed, but my process at the moment is very simple: I make a material, fill its texture-slots with whatever textures I intend (which may number from one upwards), and in some cases set “Vertex Color Paint” to ensure that vertex-colours are exported. And that’s… it, really. I seldom use material values (e.g. diffuse colour, specularity, etc.).

In case 2.8 can export between versions, here’s a simple example made in 2.78c, being a UV-mapped cube with three textures applied.
testBlend.zip (2.4 MB)

(PS: Remind me, please: has something changed in 2.8/New-YABEE regarding the application of tags? I’ve thus far made significant use of tags–both automatically converted to specific egg-tags and the more generic sort–applied as game-properties.)

Blender 2.8 has dropped game properties. YABEE could add support for Blender’s custom properties which work in 2.7x and 2.8. There is an issue on the YABEE tracker for this: https://github.com/09th/YABEE/issues/44

Ah, interesting; I thought I remembered something like that, but wasn’t confident, I believe.

It’s really useful to have some means of getting additional information from Blender into Panda, I find. Some of that information might be made redundant by the exporting of shader node-graphs, but other things (such as game-specific logic-tags) wouldn’t be covered by that, I imagine.

That said, I’m glad that there seems to be another place to store these tags! :slight_smile:

Oof. I imagine I’ll move from 2.7 to a newer version someday–but at this point, I doubt that it will be during the development of my current project. There’s too much in the workflow that’s changed, I fear. :/

So, I have a couple questions on this if someone can help me here.

Firstly, I am trying to export a simple structure that has been colored in blender itself and does not use any outside textures (like .jpg/.png’s etc). When I attempt to export by selecting all mesh > exporting, the file fails to export properly.

Additionally, my friend who is working with me to create character models says the exporter does not support rigged objects. Is this also true?

Thank you!

@Triumphant, this may be better in another thread. However, we’ll need a bit more info on how the file fails to export. Is there an error? Does the model look wrong in pview?

YABEE supports rigged objects, but I do not know if @redeyedman’s fork does. I imagine it would since I do not recall this part of the API changing between 2.7x and 2.8. I do seem to remember animations could be a bit touchy and/or non-intuitive (e.g., requires extra steps) to export with YABEE.