Read stencil buffer to texture

I have two questions on the stencil buffer. If I understand, the stencil buffer is an array. How to view it for debugging?
I use RenderDoc, however I saw a black screen using an example http://www.panda3d.org/manual/?title=Stencil_Attribute.

The second question: is it possible to write the frame buffer at once in the form of a mask for the stencil? I just want to use a shader to generate a mask.

The stencil buffer is not an array; it is just an 8-bit unsigned integer value. To enable it, add this to Config.prc:

framebuffer-stencil true

Panda3D writes nothing to the stencil buffer by default. You need to apply a StencilAttrib to your geometry in order to write anything to it.

I don’t believe it’s possible to write to the stencil buffer from a fragment shader; it’s a mask that is on or off for an object’s fragments. Though, you can probably use discard; in your shader to avoid writing to the stencil buffer.

I think the buffer viewer should be supporting the debugging of stencil buffers. If this doesn’t work right, we should fix that.

The word framebuffer seems to mislead me. It looks like a bitmask for a collision, only in this case for rendering. I think implement stencil based shader. This should work faster, because, as I understand it, the panda stencil test runs on the processor.

It actually works. The fact is that the values ​​0/255 and 1/255 in color indistinguishable to the eye, which were used in the example.