Windows 10 missing manifests

Hi, I’m having a really hard time installing Panda from source on Windows 10.

I finally managed to make it build, but not the installer… There is apparently a problem with manifests, and I’m a Unix guy, I’m lost here. Any Ideas ? Here is my command and output :

C:\Users\*****\panda3d>makepanda\makepanda.bat --nothing --use-python --windows-sdk=10 --msvc-version=14.2 --installer

Version: 1.11.0
Platform: win-amd64
Using Python 3.8
Using Windows SDK 10.0.18362.0
Using Visual Studio 2019
Using MSVC 14.2
Target OS: windows
Target arch: x64
WARNING: Could not locate manifest C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\*_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_*.manifest. You may need to reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable.
Generating dependencies...
WARNING: file depends on Python but is not in an ABI-specific directory: built_x64/bin/deploy-stub.exe
WARNING: file depends on Python but is not in an ABI-specific directory: built_x64/bin/deploy-stubw.exe
Storing dependency cache.
[100%] Building installer
Building Panda3D SDK 1.11.0 installer at Panda3D-1.11.0-py3.8-x64.exe
Note: you are using zlib, which is faster, but lzma gives better compression.
warning: File: "..\built_x64\bin\Microsoft.*.manifest" -> no files found. (makepanda\installer.nsi:217)
warning: File: "..\built_x64\bin\api-ms-win-*.dll" -> no files found. (makepanda\installer.nsi:223)
warning: File: "..\built_x64\bin\ucrtbase.dll" -> no files found. (makepanda\installer.nsi:224)
File: "..\built_x64\models\*" -> no files found.
Usage: File [/nonfatal] [/a] ([/r] [/x filespec [...]] filespec [...] |
/oname=outfile one_file_only)
Error in script "makepanda\installer.nsi" on line 232 -- aborting creation process
Storing dependency cache.
Elapsed Time: 12 sec
The following command returned a non-zero value: thirdparty\win-nsis\makensis /V2 /DCOMPRESSOR="zlib" /DTITLE="Panda3D SDK 1.11.0" /DINSTALLDIR="C:\Panda3D-1.11.0-x64" /DOUTFILE="..\Panda3D-1.11.0-py3.8-x64.exe" /DBUILT="..\built_x64" /DSOURCE=".." /DREGVIEW="64" /DINCLUDE_PYVER="3.8" "makepanda\installer.nsi"
Build terminated.

I did reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable as indicated and retry, this gives the exact same result.

Ok I stumbled on Windows build *almost* done, no installer, and did the same thing (I added /nonfatal on every File command that crashed the process in makepanda\installer.nsi) and now it passes !

For the record, the error doesn’t have anything to do with manifests; it was trying to add files from built_x64/models and not finding any. Presumably because you’ve built without support for any model formats, image formats, or rendering features, or anything like that, so the build hasn’t produced any models. I guess this is a particular esoteric build configuration we just haven’t tested.

Oh okay, that explains it!
I indeed compiled with “–nothing --use-python”, for the minimal set generating an installer, while I was struggling on making it build. I’ll try with a more complete set of functionalities now.