Tutorial issue

Im going through the Panda beginner tut and I can’t get past, ahem… the first step. The “ppython filename.py” part, I fixed the whole PATH problem, at least I think I did, I just follow the tut, and I restarted my computer. It still doesn’t work, why is this, I’d really like to get into this thing but at this rate… But I know I’m gonna love it when I get this straightened out.

Also this is the error message that I get when I do the “ppython” step:

ppython Import.py
File “”, line 1
ppython Import.py
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Thanks for the help,
Grei J.

Hi there,

From your example, it looks like you are trying to run ppython from within the python interpreter. You actually want to run ppython.exe from the command line in Windows if that’s what you are using.

Steve

Where did you found that point? If its written there as you posted it, its wrong in the tut/manual. But without a hint or detailed location description I doubt that we can do much :confused:

Regards, Bigfoot29

sm3 - Do you mean I should go to my Start menu and use the “Run” function to run the “ppython Import.py”? Or is the "command line something else?

bigfoot29 - The step I am talking about is in the Manual, it’s under “Starting Panda3D” it’s the last step.

Thanks for the help ya’ll, I didn’t think anyone was ever going to answer this. You made my day. I’ll get this stuff working yet.

Grei J.

Grei,

you might want to see Tiptoe’s tutorial at discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=1372

it explains the basics (hopefully also answering your question regarding the command line).

for a more advanced tutorial see ynjh_jo’s post at discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=1447

both did a great job with screenshots and a step-by-step explanantion.

hope that helps,
kaweh

That’s exactly what I mean:

Click Start> Run

Type cmd hit enter

CD to your directory where Import.py is and type ppython Import.py

You should probably not use import though in your names because it’s a Python keyword.

Thanks yall, your a big help, I’ll look into and try all that you suggested and let you know.

Btw, sm3 “CD to your directory where Import.py is and type ppython Import.py” whats CD mean?

Grei J.

sm3 ignore that last question, thank you though :slight_smile:

Grei J.

I usually just use one of the sample tutorials directories myself. I use the “Roaming Ralph” tutorial most times for testing, so I just through my .egg files into the models directory and then change the .bat file to point to my.py file instead of roamingralph.py

Steve