Successful Compile with VS 2008!!

I’m sorry but the link doesn’t work anymore and in the CVS version there isn’t the updated “makepanda” code so could you fix it to work with VC2008, please?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Zuck I just checked the links and they still work for me. Not sure what the problem you are having is. I still have the same hosting provider so everything is still the same.

Mmm, you’re right! I don’t know why in the last days my ftp client didn’t work with it…

Thank you! :wink:

Hey Caelin, Just copied in your makepanda system and getting this error:

dtool.cxx
link /nologo /NOD:MFC80.LIB /NOD:MFC90.LIB /NOD:LIBCI.LIB /NOD:MSVCRTD.LIB /DEBU
G  /nod:libc /nod:libcmtd /nod:atlthunk /DLL /MAP /MAPINFO:EXPORTS /FIXED:NO /OP
T:REF /STACK:4194304 /INCREMENTAL:NO  /OUT:built/bin/libp3dtool.dll /IMPLIB:buil
t/lib/libp3dtool.lib /LIBPATH:"thirdparty/win-python/libs" built/tmp/dtool_dtool
.obj built/tmp/dtoolutil_gnu_getopt.obj built/tmp/dtoolutil_gnu_getopt1.obj buil
t/tmp/dtoolutil_composite.obj built/tmp/dtoolbase_composite1.obj built/tmp/dtool
base_composite2.obj built/tmp/dtoolbase_indent.obj built/tmp/dtoolbase_lookup3.o
bj "shell32.lib" "advapi32.lib"
   Creating library built/lib/libp3dtool.lib and object built/lib/libp3dtool.exp

mt -manifest built/bin/libp3dtool.dll.manifest -outputresource:built/bin/libp3dt
ool.dll;2
Storing dependency cache.
Elapsed Time: 11 sec
Cannot find mt.exe on search path

Im running on a fresh install of VS 9 and “DXSDK_Nov08”, with (as seen by the 2005 example) everything set up correctly such that a win32 console app compiles.

Any ideas as to where mt.exe is? Did a search and my pc doesnt have it anywhere (trusting windows search here). Im guessing it has something to do with me being on Vista32.

**EDIT

Found mt.exe - at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin; added it to the system path. Why my prior builds of panda didn’t complain is weird but nevertheless its building, will edit if the build succeeds in a few hours.

c:\panda3d_src2\panda\src\display\graphicsStateGuardian.cxx(23) : fatal error C1
083: Cannot open include file: 'ambientLight.h': No such file or directory
Elapsed Time: 8 sec

I looked on the CVS tree, and it shows the panda/src/light folder to be empty. Did a search on the src is checked out, all of the light files arent there: spot ambient ect ect. Did i forget to re organize a folder or something, or perhaps they got eaten off the cvs tree?

The panda/src/light directory has been unused since March 2002. It still exists in CVS only because CVS doesn’t have a way to completely directories.

The file ambientLight.h is located in panda/src/pgraphnodes, which is a relatively new directory. Perhaps you forgot to specify -dP when you did a cvs update?

David

Always finding my problems Dave :slight_smile:. Command line CVS still scares me, but its building now, thanks again!

**edit

Same error, but this time the files are there inside of pgraphnodes. Sources.pp has the correct files (in the pgraphnodes dir). Wish i knew more about makepanda, perhaps the makepanda i grabbed on this thread doesnt know the new location of pgraphnodes? Even though sources.pp shows “#define DIR_TYPE group”

// Filename: config_pgraphnodes.h
// Created by:  drose (05Nov08)

edit *2
Ok, so in the makepanda.py(in this thread), the pgraphnode stuff isnt in there, so i added it

CopyAllHeaders('panda/src/pgraphnodes')
//Later in file

#
# DIRECTORY: panda/src/pgraphnodes/
#

OPTS=['DIR:panda/src/pgraphnodes', 'BUILDING:PANDA']
TargetAdd('pgraphnodes_composite1.obj', opts=OPTS, input='pgraphnodes_composite1.cxx')
TargetAdd('pgraphnodes_composite2.obj', opts=OPTS, input='pgraphnodes_composite2.cxx')
IGATEFILES=GetDirectoryContents('panda/src/pgraphnodes', ["*.h", "*_composite.cxx"])
TargetAdd('libpgraphnodes.in', opts=OPTS, input=IGATEFILES)
TargetAdd('libpgraphnodes.in', opts=['IMOD:panda', 'ILIB:libpgraphnodes', 'SRCDIR:panda/src/pgraphnodes'])
TargetAdd('libpgraphnodes_igate.obj', input='libpgraphnodes.in', opts=["DEPENDENCYONLY"])

//later in file
TargetAdd('libpanda_module.obj', input='libpgraphnodes.in')

TargetAdd('libpanda.dll', input='pgraphnodes_composite1.obj')
TargetAdd('libpanda.dll', input='pgraphnodes_composite2.obj')
TargetAdd('libpanda.dll', input='libpgraphnodes_igate.obj')

Made it past the light folder woot will edit again if it crashes or succeeds.

Funny error

c:\panda3d_src2\pandaapp\src\pandaappbase\pandaappsymbols.h(8) : fatal error C10
71: unexpected end of file found in comment
Elapsed Time: 4 sec

bulk comment didnt have a end slash

/* Filename: pandaappsymbols.h
 * Created by:  drose (26Apr01)

New crash - not sure how to approach this one, although i dont see a BackupCatalog class declaration, i see some inline ::entry() functions in the .i , but no class declaration. Perhaps i need something else in the makepanda?

Strange because these files from a build i did about a month ago (VS2005) and the httpbackup files look the same as is the ones i grabbed off of the trunk.

pandaapp/src/httpbackup/backupCatalog.cxx(29) : error C2653: 'BackupCatalog' : i
s not a class or namespace name
pandaapp/src/httpbackup/backupCatalog.cxx(30) : error C4430: missing type specif
ier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
pandaapp/src/httpbackup/backupCatalog.cxx(31) : error C2065: '_dirty' : undeclar
ed identifier
pandaapp/src/httpbackup/backupCatalog.cxx(32) : warning C4508: 'BackupCatalog' :
 function should return a value; 'void' return type assumed
pandaapp/src/httpbackup/backupCatalog.cxx(39) : error C2653: 'BackupCatalog' : i
s not a class or namespace name
pandaapp/src/httpbackup/backupCatalog.cxx(40) : fatal error C1903: unable to rec
over from previous error(s); stopping compilation
Elapsed Time: 26 min 49 sec

Well i got it to build, but only way was to --no-pandaapp. When i foodled with the sources.pp to get rid of backupCatalog, it then went and crashed on fontSamples - same kind of error.

Anyone inform me on exactly what pandaApp does; looking at the code its nothing i think ive used before.

pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(32) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
a class or namespace name
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(33) : error C4430: missing type specifier
- int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(34) : error C3861: 'clear_runlines': ident
ifier not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(35) : error C3861: 'add_runline': identifi
er not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(38) : error C3861: 'set_program_descriptio
n': identifier not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(44) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(44) : error C2065: 'dispatch_string' : und
eclared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(44) : error C2065: '_sample_text' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(42) : error C3861: 'add_option': identifie
r not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(49) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(49) : error C2065: 'dispatch_int' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(49) : error C2065: '_sample_height' : unde
clared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(47) : error C3861: 'add_option': identifie
r not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(55) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(55) : error C2065: 'dispatch_filename' : u
ndeclared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(55) : error C2065: '_name_font_filename' :
 undeclared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(52) : error C3861: 'add_option': identifie
r not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(60) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(60) : error C2065: 'dispatch_int' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(60) : error C2065: '_name_height' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(58) : error C3861: 'add_option': identifie
r not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(69) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(69) : error C2065: 'dispatch_double' : und
eclared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(69) : error C2065: '_font_aa_factor' : und
eclared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(63) : error C3861: 'add_option': identifie
r not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(74) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(74) : error C2065: 'dispatch_int' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(74) : error C2065: '_vert_space' : undecla
red identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(72) : error C3861: 'add_option': identifie
r not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(79) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(79) : error C2065: 'dispatch_int_pair' : u
ndeclared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(79) : error C2065: '_image_width' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(77) : error C3861: 'add_option': identifie
r not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(86) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(86) : error C2065: 'dispatch_string' : und
eclared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(86) : error C2065: '_output_filename' : un
declared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(82) : error C3861: 'add_option': identifie
r not found
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(88) : error C2065: '_sample_text' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(89) : error C2065: '_sample_height' : unde
clared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(90) : error C2065: '_name_height' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(91) : error C2065: '_font_aa_factor' : und
eclared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(92) : error C2065: '_vert_space' : undecla
red identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(93) : error C2065: '_image_width' : undecl
ared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(94) : error C2065: '_image_height' : undec
lared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(95) : error C2065: '_output_filename' : un
declared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(96) : error C2065: '_name_text_maker' : un
declared identifier
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(97) : warning C4508: 'FontSamples' : funct
ion should return a value; 'void' return type assumed
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(104) : error C2653: 'FontSamples' : is not
pandaapp/src/indexify/fontSamples.cxx(105) : fatal error C1903: unable to recove
r from previous error(s); stopping compilation

Long story short - it built but i cannot make an installer for anyone else; going to keep poking it with a stick till i figure it out.

Roger

pandaapp is defunct. It does nothing useful, and there’s no reason to even try to build it.

I should add that the makepanda.py that is included with the cvs source knows not to try to build pandaapp. This is just an old version linked here.

David

Well guys - After poking it with a big stick (and some help from the big Roger dave :slight_smile: ); we got it to compile and i got an installer here if anyone wants it.

Heres what i had to do (ontop of what was mentioned earlier for the changes between Caelins make stuff and the heads):

Looks like on May 28 2008, there was a commit to add the BSD liscense stuff that ate all of the H files, nearly all of them were +0 -100ish on the cvs log. Script ate it i think (maybe on purpose).

rolled all the h files back one revision

cvs up  -r 1.2 backupCatalog.h
cvs up  -r 1.3 httpBackup.h
cvs up -r 1.2 fontSamples.h
cvs up -r 1.2 default_font.h
cvs up -r 1.7 indexImage.h
cvs up -r 1.10 rollDirectory.h
cvs up -r 1.7 indexify.h
cvs up -r 1.6 photo.h 
etc etc

Last thing i had to change to get the installer to build was a hardcoded variable inside of packpanda.nsi

line 93 - ${PANDA}\bin\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
to 
${PANDA}\bin\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest 

Exe is now built :slight_smile:, and i have pandaApp (whatever it does hehe).

May be a good idea to put caelin’s changes into the tree along with the stuff that excludes the pandaApp (already in tree) along with something that can tell version differences in the packpanda.nsi; I can merge up the vs9 makepanda.py stuff along with head of the revision so you can commit dave if you want.

VS2008 works yay!

Roger

Yeah, the removal of pandaapp was on purpose. I don’t know why the entire tree didn’t get removed.

Dunno what version you’re trying to build, but the latest CVS version of makepanda does all of this right.

I have no problem with adding VC9 support - email me a diff and thirdparty packages, my email address is available through the forums.

I was using a hybrid between caelins (one he posted in september) and the heads versions. Being that the heads doesn’t support VS9.

Ill msg you with the differences sometime tommorrow: packing up to go back to school tonight.

Yeah I haven’t updated makepanda for a while so it doesn’t include any of the recent changes made to the source files. I haven’t touched Panda in a little while as I have been working on some other stuff but I am planning on getting back to it soon and getting some things to show. If you have any questions about the changes I made then let me know and I will try to help out.

I can’t find VS2008 support in makepanda CVS version yet…Is it normal? :frowning:

Yeah. I simply don’t have time to add it, it will probably take me hours to do it.

… unless someone emails me a diff and all the thirdparty packages. Noone did that yet, though.

I will try to get to updating my makepanda with the new changes needed with the changes made to the code recently and get you the diffs and thirdparty packages. I am still working on some other things so it may take a bit to get to it.

Thanks alot for this! :slight_smile:

Any news yet? I am in desperate need of compiling this with vs2008 right now. Can anyone put up a package with the necessary updated files to compile the cvs trunk?

If anyone can give me the promised diffs and zipfile, I’d be happy to integrate it in the CVS trunk (and include it in 1.6.0, perhaps even.)

(btw. Caelin, are the thirdparty packages from vc8 compatible with vc9, or did you have to recompile them?)

Hmm. I’ve been trying to compile Panda in VC2008 myself, which seems to work fine, until the pzip step. I can’t seem to run any binary from built/bin;

Runtime Error!

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library
incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more
information.

I’m compiling with optimize level 1.
Anyone run into this problem before, or have any ideas to fix?