Screen resolution

I am working on a game with several of my schoolmates and hoping to have something publishable in the fall. We have a proof-of-tech working and are working on bringing it closer to consumable status.

When searching for a way to implement different screen resolutions we hit a wall. The simplest solution we could come up with was making a Python wrapper for the Win32 API call that gives available screen modes. There’s also a function in PyGame that does the same. We found old threads discussing the problem re:Panda3D but no easy solution.

Are we missing something fundamental here?

Thank you for all the work you have put in. We really like coding for Panda3D. It’s an awesome piece of software.

win-size 800 600
or
win-size 1024 768
You can put it in a config file and load that file when the game starts.

from panda3d.core import loadPrcFile

loadPrcFile("config/Config.prc")

You can have a small, standalone setup program with a simple gui that will generate the needed file for the user… but if the screen size would be the only configurable value then you might as well skip the prc file and load it like this

from panda3d.core import loadPrcFileData

loadPrcFileData('', 'win-size 1024 768')

I think you can also resize a window with WindowProperties (setSize?) but don’t take my word for it, never needed to go that rout.

I was aware of that and am using WindowProperties to f.ex. setting fullscreen. What I need is available resolutions and color depths.

Using the bootstrap idea works unless the user switches monitors (especially if they go from 4:3 to 16:9).

[Getting Monitor's supported resolutions)
[Changing resolution while in game)

Thank you SO much. I knew I had to be missing something vital.