Panda -> Documentation -> Manual -german Translation w

Hmmm… OK, a whole makeover!

This thread is dedicated to the german translation of the Panda3D-Manual where I am making slow process. All actuall PDF-Files can be obtained from THIS posting here - you don’t need to dive into depth if you don’t want to.

Always remember that every part of the translation is still beta - Suggestions are always welcome.

This work is under CCL2 as far as the original writers of the Documentation allow it- see your rights here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/de/

Here we go:

Part I-III of the Content Table
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … g_V0.6.pdf
Part IV-A
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … A_V0.5.pdf
Part IV-B
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … B_V0.7.pdf
Part IV-C
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … C_V0.5.pdf
Part IV-D
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … D_V0.5.pdf
Part IV-E
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … E_V0.7.pdf
Part IV-F
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … F_V0.5.pdf
Part IV-G
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … G_V0.4.pdf
Part IV-H → Due to some manual changes this is now H-1
http://www.bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads/PmP3D_IV.H_V0.6.pdf
Part IV-I → Due to some manual changes this is now H-2
http://www.bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads/PmP3D_IV.I_V0.6.pdf
Part IV-I (the new one)
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … I_V0.5.pdf
Part IV-J
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … J_V0.5.pdf
Part IV-K
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … K_V0.5.pdf

Make sure to look in here regularly - I won’t announce all updates on existing translations.

Anyways… Thanks to drwr and Josh Yelon for their remaining energy to answer my questions :slight_smile:

Have FUN reading!

Regards, Bigfoot29

Old Message:

A translation would be great! However, the manual is a work in progress… it changes every week, sometimes every day. So the translation would have to be maintained. I think we should ponder the right way to handle such a problem.

“lerp” is the common abbreviation for “linear interpolate”:

lerp(a,b,x) = a*(1-x) + b*x

hmmm… is there a way to say “all changes from now please file somewhere and send them to me” or making a separate area where these changes can be viewed? (meaning: When is done what where? - like a version history for the documentation - but that is also work :confused: )
I ask that because - well, there is basic work that needs to be done and if the manual changes in THAT time its hard to see where were what changes :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply - I will keep you guys informed as the translation is proceeding… (I wanted to do the translation in time with learning and practising… could take a while because I guess that I will have serious trouble with the free-style translation if I don’t know what I am talking about :smiley: ) - I will see how fast I can get through it…

Thanks also for the “lerp” thing… was missing in my translation :slight_smile: (and was also not in wikipedia hint hint :wink: )

Regards, Bigfoot29

Ok… I put everything together and loaded it onto a server… may be you guys have some layout questions even if you can’t read german :slight_smile:

http://www.bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads/Handbuch_Einleitung_V0.5.pdf

(Sorry for the double posting) :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Yes, you can get a change-log from the manual. The manual is actually a wiki, you can log in by clicking the tiny button at the bottom of each manual page. The wiki software contains a changelog mechanism.

I’m impressed at how much you’ve accomplished already.

Wow, good job!

When it comes to writing, Meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut. But I can read a little bit :slight_smile:

Josh: Thanks for the info… I read that already somewhere, but the more detailed information is great :slight_smile:

Josh and Sandman: Well, I tricked a little bit… I used babelfish.altavista.com to translate the rough text and then go through the text and change what sounds weird or is completely wrong… Everything before/including Version 1.0 is in fact only a “germanized automatic translation” but I think it is a basic work others can do improvements at…

I got V0.6 of The Introduction part ready… some “Bug Fixes” and fully written links… I guess its not worth uploading until I have done more work at the next parts :slight_smile:

Going to do some stuff… hehe.

Well, Sandman in case you have questions, feel free to ask for german expressions :smiley: :wink:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Hmmm… I am thinking about some of the translations… can I really translate a “Node” as a “zero-point”?
What would be a good other (english) expression for:

*bounding boxes (jumping boxes sounds silly…)
*frustum (? - no clue…)
*what is a good expression if you want to “parent something to something”? (I have an Idea what it means but its hard to express that…)

Regards, Bigfoot29

Can somebody explain the following second part of the whole sentence please? I can’t find any sense in it :open_mouth:

The above setPos() means to set myNodePath to the position (X, Y, Z), relative to otherNodePath–that is, the position myNodePath would be in if it were a child of otherNodePath and its position were set to (X, Y, Z)

Is there another good expression for PITCH?
(my “interval steps” don’t sound that right…)

Thanks in Advance…

Regards, Bigfoot29

Trouble is, thats the easiest way to put it. Its to make something become the child of something else. But parent is used for sanity :slight_smile:

hehe… thanks for the hints :slight_smile: Any suggestions for the second part of the Questions? :slight_smile:

I found a problem during translation:

What is right now? Node name comparisons are case sensitive, but case is not important? And Node name comparisons are not case sensitive but the case must match exactly? - Where to put what Part of which line? :smiley:

Regards, Bigfoot29

The English word “node” really means a connection or joint in a graph, like a crossroads, but few people remember that. In technical usage like this, it really just means a generic object that connects to other objects of a similar type. There might be a similar technical word in German, but if you can’t find one, I wouldn’t translate it–just use “Node”.

Hee, hee–this is a different meaning of “bounding”, not related to jumping. This means boxes that establish a bound or limit for the geometry within them, like a fence. Again, this is a common technical phrase, and there may be a similar phrase already in common use in German.

A frustum is a mathematical shape, kind of a squashed cube, that describes the shape of the field-of-view of a lens. Think of a pyramid with its top sliced off.

In this case, we are using the word “parent” as a verb (it’s normally a noun only). In our usage, when we say “parent a to b” we mean to make b the parent of a.

That sentence is not worded very well, is it? It confuses me. But it’s a complex idea, and it’s not obvious how to phrase it more clearly. The point is that each node keeps its own, local position, which means its position relative to its parent (in other words, within its parent’s coordinate space). If you were to reparent myNodePath to otherNodePath–that is, make its parent be otherNodePath–and then set its local position to (X, Y, Z), that really means to set its position in the world to (X, Y, Z) relative to otherNodePath (in other words, to position (X, Y, Z) within otherNodePath’s coordinate space). Now suppose you set the parent of myNodePath back to its original parent, without moving it in space. This will mean the local position of myNodePath, relative to its new parent, will have to be something other than (X, Y, Z) in order to keep it in the same place. Whatever that new local position is, that’s the value set by myNodePath.setPos(otherNodePath, X, Y, Z).

“pitch” in this case means an angle up or down, like a boat pitching up and down in the waves. The mathematician Euler pointed out that you can describe any rotation using a combination of three angles, which he called (in the English translation) yaw, pitch, and roll (we renamed “yaw” to “heading”, so we could use the first three letters h, p, and r, and not confuse them with x, y, and z). I don’t know what these three Euler angles are traditionally called in German, but I bet you can find them.

Actually, “right now” is the exactly the same as “-i”–this is the default, which is pointed out in the sentence below this paragraph in the manual. (Note that “case is not important” is just another way to say “case insensitive”, and “case must match exactly” is just a rephrasing of “case sensitive”.)

David

drwr: Thanks! Awesome answer :smiley:

So I will translate “Node” with “Node” and state at the first point where I will use it that it is an object that can link to others…

A “bounding box” is then a box with the “feature” that its content can’t escape… that is what I took out of your explaination - not content related atm because I haven’t the docs opened right now… (and no, I don’t have a special phrase for it in german… may be because I am not a programming geek till now :smiley: )

Frustum: all clear… couldn’t be told easier :smiley:

Parent: hmmm… The question is still to find a good german translation :slight_smile: but thanks for your try…

setPos: erm yea… thanks… I think I got the sense of it. But it is still a hard thing to find a good short german translation :smiley: - well, may be I’ll get a flash-like idea somewhen in the middle of the night :slight_smile:

Yaw-Pitch-Roll: Thanks for the informations, but even Wikipedia refused to help me with a short explaination for a more detailed german translation… they call it “yaw-pitch-roll-Winkel” but it seems to be higher mathematics :smiley: - no explaination… (I will use your one there if you don’t mind…)

CaseSensitive: Well, my fault… the original wrote case INsensitive - i read over the in I guess… :slight_smile:

• Well, more questions to come as soon as I proceed :smiley:
    I guess I will place the IV.A on my webserver tomorrow as Version 0.5 (with lots of space for improvements :smiley: )

But thx again for your long answer…

Regards, Bigfoot29

Right, but let me clarify a bit more–a bounding box doesn’t actually constrain its contents; rather, it is computed to be always larger than its contents. If the contents grow larger, then the box will automatically grow larger to fit.

A bounding box is an important tool for determining if a particular object will fit within a given volume. If the object’s bounding box will fit, then you don’t need to bother looking at the object itself, since you know the box is always larger than the object.

Actually, Panda doesn’t really use bounding boxes, it uses bounding spheres more often (but the same concept applies). So the manual is a little inaccurate in this choice of terms. Strictly, it should refer to “bounding volumes” instead, which is a more general term.

The rest of your comments are right on the money. :slight_smile:

David

hmmm… is there a REAL SHORT translation of the quaternions - lets say a version for dummies? I asked wikipedia again, but thats again too high mathematics… I guess I need to ask my math prof there :confused:

Hmm, do we even attempt to explain quaternions in the English version of the manual?

A quaternion is a set of four floating-point numbers that can be used to represent a three-dimensional rotation. It can be used instead of the Euler angles h, p, and r. Without going into the math involved, it’s sufficient to understand that there are some nice properties of quaternions–but intuitive representations of angles is not one of them, so most people choose to use just h, p, and r, and ignore the quaternions completely.

However, if you are already are familiar with the use of quaternions, Panda provides a facility for using them.

That’s probably all that’s necessary to understand at this level of the manual. I think there are plenty of mathematical introductions to quaternions out there for people who would like to learn more. :slight_smile:

David

Well, I guess you are right… I will need to ask my math prof to give me the german Words for yaw-pitch-roll and Quaternion. It is less a question to understand it of course - it was/still is more the question how to translate it to make the german reader clear what the writer wants to say :slight_smile:

But I have again a question if you don’t mind…

I tried to avoid the word “net” before by using different expressions and/or rewriting the whole sentence, but here I am stuck…
Net CAN’t mean networking (because we have no connection to that topic here - or I am the only one not seeing it :wink: ) - but I guess its also not meant to have the meaning of GRID - is it? Or is the sentence refering to the net of nodes connected somehow together?

…stupid questions :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

PS: May I ask what your position is here? You don’t have a “special ranking” so I guess you are a “normal” user - just enthusiastic and love to help or deeply involved into the development? (please do NOT get this question as a offense… its more… well, pure interest :slight_smile:

PPS: Here are the actual files:

a workover from above:
bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … g_V0.6.pdf

the Beta-Version of Part IV.A:

bios.kicks-ass.org/downloads … A_V0.5.pdf

Feel free to use it byond CCL 2.0 creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/de/ this applies to all documents posted by me in this thread…

You’re right–“net” is not referring to networking here. In this case, it is used in the English meaning of “total” or “complete”. The “net transform” of a node is the complete transform derived by accumulating all the transforms together from the root of the graph to that node.

And it’s not a stupid question at all. :slight_smile: Translating a technical document can be very difficult, because we mix up common words with jargon words, and often the same word has very different meanings in different contexts–but the context won’t be clear unless you are familiar with all of the jargon.

I’m a Panda developer employed by Disney. So, you hit it right on the money–I am “enthusiastic and love to help” and also “deeply involved into the development”. :slight_smile:

David

All clear :slight_smile: only a short question in the config file parts---- what is the meaning behind the </\ td> @ some of the Details? (its placed behind a “(true or false)”)

And what means GSG fully written? This question is not important - its just outta couriosity… I translated around that “word” :slight_smile:

As said, short Posting… (short in time)

Thx for your time - to those who are reading and answering this :smiley:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Uh, I searched the Config.prc - in case that the </\ td> means that its normally not in the config file but can be written there then you don’t need to answer… but thx for reading :smiley:

Regarrrrrds, Bigfoot29