How do i load this map and display it? PBR, multiple textures, large mesh...etc

Oh, alright, that makes sense. Sorry if i was irritating, i was really scared that i’d have to scrap my project.

As to your question, currently, i have (pretty much) forever to finish the project.

Don’t worry: for my part, it was less that you were irritating than that you seemed to be surprised that there weren’t people around to help you, or thought that you were being ignored.

At the least, I’m glad that you have time, at least! In which case, give the forum some time, I think–let people come in and see your posts.

Push

Hmm… You uploaded the blend-file, which I wasn’t able to load–could you upload the bam file (or better yet, an egg-file) that I could try out in PView, please?

map.bam (241.4 KB)

I just passed it through blend2bam so it’s not the best of conversions. I can’t replicate what i did to make that file anymore for whatever reason.

I took a look at your Blender file, and I do not understand your texturing technique. You seem to be applying a number of overlapping texture maps to the same geometry. simplepbr supports a single base color/texture per node, but you can arbitrarily divide your model up into a bunch of nodes to apply as many textures as you please to those specific parts of the geometry.

Realistic Office with PBR Lighting In this example, my Blender file is about 140 megabytes. Panda has no problem with that.

Hmm… It looks like the bam-file is expecting the presence of several textures, which aren’t included. As a result, I see only shades from white to black.

I see that your previous download didn’t include the textures, either–could that be your problem, that you haven’t transferred the textures to the relevant locations relative to your model in your project folder?

That said, if what Simulan says above is accurate–as I mentioned before, I don’t use simplepbr, and so am not familiar with its limitations–then the overlayering of textures might be the problem, indeed.

However, looking at the “readme” for simplepbr, it does seem as though it supports four textures per node: one each for “BaseColor”, “MetalRoughness”, “Normals”, and “Emission”, in slots 0 through 3, respectively.

Again that said, if you’re using more than that, or using different slots, then that might be the source of your problem.

Sorry, but I have to correct this. blend2bam and simplepbr do support multiple textures per node. You can have as many different vertex groups with different materials as you like. As long as you are using a standard glTF-compatible set-up with PrincipledBSDF node, multiple texture maps in the same material are also supported.

You again didn’t include the textures with any of your models, so it is just going to look black/white for us.

1 Like

Does it support multiple base colors? Does that even make sense? I said one base color per node, did I not?

My point, which I guess I did not clearly make, was that from a modeling perspective it’s easier to separate the model into different model nodes, and make sure a single base texture actually works on those.

Yes, Panda, blend2bam, and simplepbr support multiple materials, each with their own base color texture, on different parts of the same GeomNode. Vertex groups with separate materials get split up into separate Geoms under that GeomNode in Panda.

Cutting up a model into distinct objects in Blender based on their material is not necessary and may be undesirable from a modelling point of view.

1 Like

The “node” being the Blender model part, Blender automatically deselects one texture for another when applying to the base color.

Is that specific enough? Or am I still wrong about something.

I’m not sure what you are looking at - a world material? I’m not familiar with those things, I’m afraid.

The way you would have separate textures on different parts of a model that I’m familiar with is to assign different materials to different faces. If Blender has a different way to switch textures on different parts of the model, without switching material, I am not familiar with that.

I do realise that I took your use of the word “node” to mean a “Panda scene graph node”, whereas you may have meant a “Blender material node”?

1 Like

I don’t know about this newer version of Blender, but in older versions (e.g. 2.78) you could do just that, I believe: have two materials attached to a given object, and assign which faces in the mesh showed which material.

I’m using Blender 2.91.2 – sorry for being vague with my use of “node”, I intended to speak of Blender specific properties when working towards PBR rendering. You can of course, texture to your heart’s desire, I’m not advocating for plain textures. But I’ve found, personally, it’s easier to build up a certain way, after about 20 years of doing graphics -sheesh-.

Perhaps I did not communicate well in my previous post; I’m asking you to explain what I am evidently missing about Blender’s texturing capabilities. I am sorry if my ignorance is causing exasperation.

Yes, this is the method I am familiar with, which is well-supported by our asset pipeline.

I almost got it working. Apparently .glb files work best.

However, almost all of the metal ground is not PBR for whatever reason, as seen below(if it looks black then elevate your screen brightness)

How would I go about fixing that?

1 Like