Dominion: An open source RTS

OK, this code is so early in development it shouldn’t even be a release, but I thought I’d share.

Dominion is an RTS game where artificially sentient robots created by humans attempt to take over Earth. They were exiled from Earth, but returned 15 years later with much more massive forces. This is basically the storyline behind this game.

All that functions right now is the menu system (and even then, only part of it) and the localization system. Only two languages are supported, Spanish and English. (If you want to script another language for Dominion, PM me and I’ll give you the info you need to begin)

I’m almost ready to start coding the actual game! (pending ‘stand-in’ models)

EDIT: See latest post

Hmm, how about a Linux port? I’d love to see this working on Linux, but you have some windows-specific stuff in there such as the “winsound” module.

Sorry, haven’t tested on Linux, however I don’t believe I’m using the winsound module right now, so you can just comment that line out.

In fact, I may remove that line altogether since Panda can do sound.

I will test on Linux (hopefully) today.

I’m having difficulty getting Panda3D to work on my Linux, so if someone else would like to help debug, it would be greatly appreciated.

What problems are you running into?

I’m a Windows user, and a Linux n00b (currently), and I’m not sure whether I have to install python or not. I have a folder named Python in /usr/share, but there are no binaries and only a few files.

What distro + version of Linux?
Most distro’s already have python preinstalled, and the binary should be called /usr/bin/python.

But ehrm, just install the RPM or DEB package of Panda3D that is right for your distro - since it marks “python” as dependency, it will be automatically installed when you install Panda3D.

Kubuntu 9.04
OK, I will look in /usr/bin/python, thought it was in /usr/share.
I already installed Panda3D, but I did not know where to put the panda path file for python.

I can’t do anything right now, as I am not on my computer, I’m at my cousin’s house, but I will try as soon as I can.

On Linux, everything is much easier than on Windows.
You don’t need to do anything. Everything is already configured. No copying around with path files.
If you installed the right .deb for Panda3D, it should already be at /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/panda3d.pth .

Oh, OK.

I should be able to test in about 4 hours from now.

I dont know bout kubuntu, but with ubuntu it was so easy :

I put thoose lignes in /etc/apt/sources.list :

deb packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy hardy universe
deb-src packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy hardy universe

After this you have to “sudo apt-get update”, and than “sudo apt-get install panda3d”

:smiley:

UPDATE 1:

I’ve added new language files, French and Dutch. (I used Babelfish to translate, since I don’t know either of these languages, so they might be a little off)

You can get the update here: Download the French + Dutch pack

Just unzip to the folder locale and allow it to overwrite langs.txt

Note that these probably aren’t as updated as the official repo’s:

deb http://archive.panda3d.org hardy main

Replace “hardy” with the right codename for your ubuntu version.

Yay!!! Updates and a Linux port!!

Downloads Page!

P.S.
The French and Dutch language packs are included in the release, as well as German.

I have some questions:

1. Does anyone have any language requests?
  2. Did the Linux port work on anyone else’s computer?

I would test if the site loads :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, I appear to be having some issues with my host, I re-uploaded elsewhere.

Source for Windows
Source for Linux

Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

EDIT: Website is back up again… It appears to be sporadic, so no guarantees, but here’s the link again.

hm.
appears like it somewhat runs but

/home/thomas/Desktop/newfolder/MainMenus.py:65: SyntaxWarning: name 'menu' is assigned to before global declaration
  global menu

i get this error and i cant get past the “what’s your name” field.

running ubuntu linux 8.04 running panda 1.6.2

I know, this is on purpose as the rest of the game is not finished.

The menu declaration thing is only because I use the same variable across multiple classes and it’s warning me about using global on an already assigned variable.

Update 2
A game saving and a game loading mechanism are now in place.
Maps have assigned Python files for missions to have unique traits.
Linux + Windows supported
(Windows tested on Windows XP Media Center Edition, Linux tested on Kubuntu 9.04)

Downloads