Alpha Game: Vortex The Pretty

Yes, much thanks for such a big help, I,m seeng success so far, I manage to speed up the character where I believe the character needed the speed ups, and she doesn’t seem to pass though walls yet, and moving to the menus, I might end up releasing this update tomorrow.

1 Like

So when you mean “etc”, what else to do mean? would you kindly provide a checklist of stuff you found slow other than what is said? I Managed to make the fading menus 3 times faster, unless you are suggesting a different approach.

I got the characters to move at least to the speed of super mario while walking and some levels faster while twirling since you mentioned mario, and I can use the actual head sizes of the characters to formulate a rough distance and velocity (between frame rates) which I believe 80% or above correct.

So when you say “skipping the dialogs” you do mean the character interactions, right? because that is what I,m going to work on, once again thanks for the feedback.

Edit: so I managed to reduced text delay down to enough to time to differentiate button presses, it seems I treated all the things you listed, but I’am thinking of holding back the release of this update to see if you have anything you think is slow, so I can attempt to speed up.

Hello jnpickee. When I said “etc” I meant any future animations/interactions/transitions as well.
When I said about “skipping the dialog”, I meant:

1. The next part of dialog is viewed by “S” key, the same key is to start the interaction. So if you accidentaly press “S” in the end of dialog one extra time, you’ll have to sit through the conversation again
  2. You’ll have to wait until the “S” key is active
  3. You can’t entirely skip the interaction, even if you’ve read it

Hope that helps, good luck with your project.

Okay thanks, yes you do mean the delay, and I have sped it up, but you said skip the entire dialog? hmm, I can look and test out to see if it’s possible to include such a feature. transitions? do you mean when the 8 second “dress figure” logo is zooming in or out?

Yes, if that is the case, sadly it’s not just a fancy transition, actually it is a trick I employed to mask the cleaning of the scene graph and scene render and the construction of the new content being loaded in.

Funny that this was the first thing I tried and yes did get it at the speed of mario 64, but the character half loaded in the wrong position and that scared me not to look into it farther, sadly that kind of update will need come when I look at the foundation as a whole again, I,m sorry about this.

Now, I do find it interesting you find issue with the animation, since it is purely aesthetic, I programmed them to play only during when the character is performing that specific action, what animation are you having trouble with?

Well, by the animations I meant screen transitions so it’s the same.
If it’s used for loading screen - OK, good, no problem.
The fade-in effect in the main menu (when characters appear) could be faster.

Okay, if I heard correctly, I should have everything covered then after I implement the skip dialog feature, I have already sped the intro screen, so thanks for the feedback, I should have this update out by today or tomorrow.

Okay I released the update speeding up the game, I have overwritten the files to updated links section, so re-download those to get the updated game, thanks to Thaumaturge for the advice to make this update possible.

Original Post: Hey, real quickly, since I noticed the whl files were updated, I wanted to know if directX support was added in or not, I would test this for myself, but I ran out of ssd space to reinstall bootcamp, so I was wondering if a good samaritan with a windows machine can help me out.

Link Removed

Right here in the link above a test runtime built with directX instead of the usual openGL, last time I tested it, it would crash immediately, but I was wondering if anything changed or if it would still crash, a big thanks to anyone willing to help my curiosity out. I,m still going to release the updates in a few hours anyway (update already released)

The DX version doesn’t run for me, it just fails silently. Downloading the openGL version.

EDIT: I’ve tried it out. It’s a much more comfortable experience now.

1 Like

Thank you vary much for that, yes just as thought, directX still doesn’t work for the wheel packages, it is also why I believe the game is so slow for you, I should have mentioned it before, but the windows version gave me a lot of trouble when I tested it few months back.

I tried many things to get directX to work but did not, and I know it is a lack of directX which is causing the speed issues with the runtime because I went as far as even installing the sdk onto the bootcamp partition and that had directX which the game ran at full speed.

So I,m sorry for that, to compensate, I uploaded a video showing both gameplays using the mac version, for you to check on the progress, you can find on the original post, thanks for the feedback.