A Door to the Mists--"Depictions" Demo!

Not at all! I’m grateful for such honest feedback, so thank you for it! :slight_smile:

That’s really weird–this is the first report that I’ve had of such a thing!

Thank you for the save–I intend to try loading it and seeing whether I encounter the same crash on my system!

That log file that you posted above–does that come from directly after one of the crashes? (That is, without running the game again between the crash and reading the log-file.)

I do indeed see no error output in the log-file–but then I have had some trouble with errors not being logged. :/

Oof, that’s troubling to read! Thank you for reporting it–it’s entirely possible that I’m not cleaning something up entirely! I intend to look into this.

Ah, I’m sorry to read that it was so negative an experience! :/

But indeed, I have had other negative feedback on the combat mechanic–and thus I’ve reworked it significantly in response to that feedback. I’m hoping to include the revised mechanic in a new version of the demo (which I intend will also include a number of other tweaks, changes, and bug-fixes).

However, in the meanwhile I have a prototype of the reworked combat mechanic, if you’re interested in trying it out:

I’m not quite sure of what to do about the tutorial–it’s somewhat important that it be there to instruct the player, and also that it pause the combat in order to give the player time to read it. This calls for some thought, I feel.

Interesting! Again, I’m sorry to read that your experience was so negative! :/

If I may ask, what did you find unintuitive, and how were you attempting to use it?

For the sake of clarity, it should be entirely possible to get down the rope without falling: just drop in and press the “jump” key to catch onto the rope. (Once you’ve cleared the ledge.)

You should be sticking to the rope once you’ve grabbed onto it–were you not? If you were finding that you were dropping off, then that may indicate a bug.

As to automatically climbing up and down–if I’m reading you correctly–that’s something that I’m rather strongly against, myself. It’s something that I’m inclined to dislike in games, I think. I think that I’d rather have–and thus rather my players have–control over when and whether they jump off of ladders and ropes.

All that said, due to other issues with the ropes in that level, I’ve actually removed them. In the intended-to-be-upcoming version of the demo, the platform-lift should instead return the player to the top (and back down, if they want to re-enter).

That said, while I may disagree on one point above, I do very much appreciate all of your feedback! Thank you very much again. :smiley: