Zombielord Working Concept Version Updated 1/13/10

I have started a new thread because this is a working concept versus a rough idea.

Here is my working concept version. This is my first fully working concept game in Python or Panda3d.

[color=blue]UPDATED: 1/13/10<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dowload latest version here:
http://zl.skaggsworld.com/zombielord.zip

Changes:
Filename changed to main.py.
Added menus, gold awards, victory and loss screens.
I am still struggling getting the collision checking to work better. It still crashes at certain combinations.
For now only the zombie is available until I resolve the collision issue _ although DRWR I think gave me the solution.

JB Skaggs+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
download old version here: http://zl.skaggsworld.com/zombielord.tar.gz

Update: 1/2/10 I fixed the grid show issue, I added a level clean up so after winning objects are removed. I will be adding new gui and levels soon.

update 1/1/10 I fixed some aspect issues, fixed a bug in goblin bomber, fixed the grid placement bug. Changed the card holder to a directframe- parented buttons and text to that directframe.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

[size=150]Known issues:[/size]

I have not tested this version on windows. It was created on Ubuntu 9.1 64bit.

Collision problems- the collisions are buggy at best. The zombies get stuck occasionally. I will completely rerite the collisions and update methods after reading about more efficient collision and updating states.

Multiple objects can line up in such a way you cannot tell how many there are.

Grid positioning is slow.

Needs finished models and animations Especially ground the button cards on UI. The zombie death animation needs cleanup and scaling. I have 16 characters designed but only eight implemented. I also will be adding spells.

Oh the victory and loss screens are the same now.

I am trying to implement new levels and menus.

Gold will be gained via mining which I am writing now- but it suffers the same problem as menus- rewriting the code to be able to load and Unload! I have not gotten my mind around that yet.

[size=150]What works:[/size]

One playable level, load humans from file, basic sound effects, song, collisions, grid system, gold cost system, game theme and concept idea.

How to play:

You have 200 gold this can buy you 2 summons. You must defend yourself and successfully invade the enemy while keeping him from invading you.

you have an archer, a zombie generator, a golem wall blocker, and a goblin bomber.

Please tell me what you think.

Thank you for looking at my project.

JB SKaggs

Hello.

This is really great looking game you’ve got there, although I’ve encountered some errors. Missing texture victory1 and some sounds. I will see if I can find errors or bugs.

Good job so far!

as I told elsewhere is cute and now is going cuter
beside, it has certainly many flaws but it is just the beginning, anyhow I found these main iussues:

• it is so hard to drop a card - looks like you gotta find the right spot or nothing happens.
  • I can place just 2 cards and stop and so the humans always wins
  • the card holder to the left is still misaligned (click here to see what I see)

keep up!

Astelix:
The card holder looks like a aspect issue. I will work on that.

AT this level you only have 200 gold so you can place only two cards. And you can win with the right two cards in the right places. :slight_smile:

The grid placement system needs a lot of work- I could use some mentoring in using and placing objects on grids.

Twix:

I will upload Victory1 and the sounds today- I will add the defeat graphic as well. they are not much to look at now.

JB Skaggs

I updated textures and sounds and reuploaded the file to the link in the first post.

its here again as well
http://zl.skaggsworld.com/zombielord.tar.gz

Concerning the card holder I have it now as a card but maybe I should make it a directObject instead.

Thanks to both of you.

Looks good. No more errors appeared, but you can actually get defeated after some time when you win, because the game doesn’t pause after any side wins or looses.

I also recommend you to edit the first post like this for example :

UPDATE [size=75]Dec 31, 2009 8:21 pm[/size]
Download : Link

Also, you could edit the topic subject in first post saying when it was updated. And always keep the updated link to download in first post. So we don’t have to look up all posts.

Anyways, nice to see the game improving so fast.

Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW I just fixed several bugs including the grid and reparenting issues.

I will work on your other suggestions soon.

Thanks

Cool.

I don’t know if it happens to you, but this what happens when I run the game.

The grids disappear when you select to build something.

Uh sorry I left the grid map set to show when I uploaded- Sorry I was rushed will update and repost tommorrow.

JB Skaggs

looks funny
it crashed 2-3 times first, but i was able to win a few times anyway :slight_smile:
for a work in progress this already looks very good!

Thanks- but could you tell me how did it crashed?

JB

>> python zombielord\ v0.01a.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Known pipe types:
  glxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
soldier
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "zombielord v0.01a.py", line 818, in updategoblin
    if goblinArray[i] == PCsArray[iii]: 
IndexError: list index out of range
:task(error): Exception occurred in PythonTask goblintask
  File "zombielord v0.01a.py", line 1480, in <module>
    run()
  File "/opt/panda3d/direct/src/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 2423, in run
    self.taskMgr.run()
  File "/opt/panda3d/direct/src/task/TaskNew.py", line 471, in run
    self.step()
  File "/opt/panda3d/direct/src/task/TaskNew.py", line 429, in step
    self.mgr.poll()
  File "zombielord v0.01a.py", line 818, in updategoblin
    if goblinArray[i] == PCsArray[iii]: 
IndexError: list index out of range

Thanks a lotthat will help me:)

JB

I have updated the program again.

See descriptions at first post for new instrauctions and notes.

JB Skaggs

so cute, love it - it’s now looking like a whole game.
Time to make it more robust though, I found here and there some issues:

• sometime I can’t place cards in the field at the new level even if I got points to spend, can’t always replicate the error though
  • the game always crashes after a while in level 2 (w/ pumpkins) with this:
Assertion failed: !is_empty() at line 1115 of panda/src/pgraph/nodePath.cxx
  File "main.py", line 1692, in pumpkin_zombie_fight                       
    distance=pumpkinArray[ea_pumpkin].obj.getPos()-zombieArray[ea_zombie].obj.getPos()
AssertionError: !is_empty() at line 1115 of panda/src/pgraph/nodePath.cxx             
:task(error): Exception occurred in PythonTask pumpkinfight                           
  File "main.py", line 1834, in <module>                                              
    run()                                                                             
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 2423, in run            
    self.taskMgr.run()                                                                
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/task/TaskNew.py", line 471, in run                  
    self.step()                                                                       
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/task/TaskNew.py", line 429, in step                 
    self.mgr.poll()
  File "main.py", line 1692, in pumpkin_zombie_fight
    distance=pumpkinArray[ea_pumpkin].obj.getPos()-zombieArray[ea_zombie].obj.getPos()
AssertionError: !is_empty() at line 1115 of panda/src/pgraph/nodePath.cxx
  • I guess the gameplay should wait to open to next level until I receive all my points won finishing the current and maybe show ingame the health status of the player’s soldiers

keep up the cutie

Thanks I had posted that exact code in scripts earlier and Drwr gave me some tips.

I will try and find out why the cards don’t place correct. You say it happens on a new levels? But not everytime?

So you think the creatures should have healthbars? I think that could be done- though it may make the screen look more crowded.

The animator now has all twenty base characters drawn and colored and will be starting rigging them tommorrow.

Also I will start looking at magic effects, better sounds, etc.

The amount of work even for a small game can be large.

JB SKaggs

looks like happens everytime in the pumpkin level - I saw I quit the problem clicking some times to the field and then again to the cardholder and so I can place again the card element in the field.

not necessarily - a visual representation of the health status could also be just the changing sprite looking of the character and by the way I guess like this it fits more into the game style and maybe also easier to code.

for me is always so :wink: