WinCVS & Panda

Hello,

after I finally managed to build a debug version of Panda (and after I finally got my internet back…), I would like to check out the Panda Source code directly from CVS.

The manual is not very clear about how to do this.

I found this

Source Code Repository
To get access to the latest bleeding-edge development version of Panda3D, you can check it out from the CVS repository using the command:
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d co panda3d

in the manual http://www.panda3d.org/download.php?sdk

and here http://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Tutorial:_Compiling_the_Panda3D_Source_on_Windows saying 2 different things.

Where the second seems to match the descritpion on sourceforge itself
http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=cvs&group_id=38909

I am new to CVS and havent used it before, how do I set this up ?

I have installed WinCVS 2.0.2.4 (Build 4).
I first created a new folder c:\Panda3D this is where I want the source code to be.

Then I right clicked on the c:\Panda3D folder in CVS and selected “checkout module”

there I set it up as in the picture

I used " cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d co panda3d

but the checkout fails with :

cvs checkout -P – “cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d co panda3…” (in directory C:\Panda3D)
cvs checkout: No CVSROOT specified! Please use the `-d’ option
cvs [checkout aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****

what am I doing wrong ?
I have tried to use the “2 lines” from the other websites but they also fail.

I don’t have direct experience with WinCVS, but I can see what you’re doing wrong. The command “cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d co panda3d” refers to the command you will type if you are using a command-line CVS program, not WinCVS. In this command, the CVSROOT is the string following -d, and the module path and name is the string following co.

So you should put ":pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d" in the CVSROOT blank, and “panda3d” in the module path name name blank.

Note that this is all standard CVS operations, and not specific to Panda3D; and there are pretty good CVS references on SourceForge.

David

ok using the CVS string as you said :

I got 1 step further :slight_smile:

I can “see” the panda repository (see picture)

but I get

cvs -d ":pserver:pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d " checkout -P – panda3d (in directory C:\Panda3D)
cvs [checkout aborted]: authorization failed: server panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net rejected access to /cvsroot/panda3d for user pserver

as far as I know there should be no password for anonymous read only check outs ?

I am sooooo close :stuck_out_tongue:

Remove the first “:pserver”.

that was a mistake in the attempt when i tried taking the screenshot

cvs -d ":pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d " login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:2401:/cvsroot/panda3d
cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net rejected access to /cvsroot/panda3d for user anonymous

okay
got it to work (FINALLY! )

I had to login first

I used
Admin / Command Line

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d login

then rightclick on my c:\Panda3D folder (in WinCVS)
and check out module.

there I entered “panda3d” as module name and
CVSROOT

:pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d

Local Folder to checkout : c:\Panda3D

:slight_smile: