Which version of file does panda support best?

I want to import models with textures and animations in one step.
I don’t like cumbersome settings.For example,adjusting normal map or uv or etc.
I think that should be finished in modeling software.

So which one does panda prefer?

I have tried glb/gltf.
I want to use it along with simplepbr.
But the models seems dark.
It looks fine in pview(but with strange texture color,it seems that the color is deeper than in blender).

Panda3D supports almost all well-known and well-documented model files, via Assimp. However, you should almost always prefer Egg over others, since it works the best when you get Actors involved, and AFAIK it is the only model format that Panda can do animations on (feel free to correct me). So, Egg is the “best” model format you can use in Panda, and there are several plugins to export to Egg for Blender, Maya, etc.

Thanks for your reply.
OK…But I want to use simplepbr.
According to @Moguri ,blend2bam or gltf2bam is the best choice if we want to use simplepbr…
I have set point light in my program.It can light scene a little.But the texture of models are still dark.
Then I switched to panda’s default render.
It looks fine when I just load it.
But the model will be missing when I add a point light in scene.

If you want to use SimplePBR, then go ahead with the BAM format instead. However, I am pretty sure SimplePBR supports Egg models too, and you will need them if you want to apply animations to any actor/entity. BTW, gltf2bam and blend2bam are not formats on themselves, they’re just converters that turn .blend or .gltf/.glb files to .bam files.

OK…maybe I will switch to egg later.
But…Will it make differece with my question?

According to a recently-added manual page, Panda support skeletal animations with all of “.bam”, “.egg”, “.gltf”, “.dae”, and “.x” files; only with “.obj” files is it indicated to not support such animation.

In fact, I might suggest the aforementioned page to the original poster as being perhaps worth looking at in order to see what Panda supports in each format.

I have read that.
What I really want to say is that which one is the best.
For example,do we support .x as good as .gltf?
And…Could please tell me how to deal with those problems I have said before?

I’m afraid that I don’t have answers to those questions myself (hence my not posting earlier); I just wanted to correct the point regarding animations.

Hopefully either rdb or Moguri will have some response on what’s best supported, and they or someone else will have some idea of what’s going on with the models!

(Although that said, I think that I’ve previously seen threads on the forums asking about similar issues with PBR rendering; perhaps it’s worth searching the forums for those, if you haven’t done so already.)

It sounds like blend2bam is what you need, based on your description.

Issues with blend2bam export regarding colours and such are explained on this page:
https://docs.panda3d.org/1.10/python/pipeline/converting-from-blender

1 Like

Well, I have tested -no-srgb and the model looks as same as x2egg.
But…could you please tell me how to deal with those problems I said before?

Which problems? The one with things appearing to dark? If so, don’t use -no-srgb, and instead adjust Panda to sRGB mode, as described in the manual page. Using simplepbr is a way to accomplish this.

Now I can see the model through adjust light intensity.(with simplepbr)
But…It looks like very oily.It is quite different from blender.
And…

This problem still exist.

Well,I have checked it in blender.
I discover that the model as shown in simplepbr just like the “.blend” file without mask texture.
My mask texture is mixed by Metallic texture,Specular texture and Roughness texture.
So does this lead the model not to display properly?
If so,how to deal with it?

Can you show how it is set up in Blender? You need to make sure the material is set up in the way that is described here:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/import_export/scene_gltf2.html

Please have a look at this.

Please consult the Blender manual link above on how the material nodes need to be structured in order to be recognised by the exporter.

There is currently no way to export a more complicated material node set-up out of Blender.

Actually I just need this.

Can we make this take effect in script?Such as TextureStage or etc.

Something close to that is possible: the green channel should be Roughness and the blue channel should be Metallic. I don’t know about the Specular slot.

OK…It looks more comfortable in simplepbr now(except we don’t know how to use the specular channel).Thanks.
But the model will get dark blocks on surface when I add a point light and an ambient light in the same time.
Besides,I wonder if we could enable RGB channel in script?And why the model will disappear when we add lights to panda’s default render?