What IDE with these listed features?

I realize there’s a similar topic below, but my question is a bit more specific.

I’ve been using Geany for over a decade now, but primarily because I’m not a professional programmer and only code myself when I need to write internal tools for my firm, where rapid prototyping with Python is sufficient and the lack of some modern 3d features in Panda is not an issue, so I get more bang for my buck and save time when I write these tools myself vs hiring a Unity or similar dev.
But now, I want to grow and learn Unity, without abandoning Panda. So ideally I want an IDE which works well for both Python, C# and C++.
There’s also just a few features I’d like which Geany seems to be lacking right now:

1. Good support for Python, C# and C++

2. Ability to edit two files side by side, in one window.

3. Ability to have a scrollable zoom-out view of the code file on the right side, instead of just having a vertical scrollbar. We are visual creatures, it’s much easier to know where you navigate when you can scroll through a zoom-out view instead of a simple scrollbar: over a short time you start memorizing which “shapes” on the zoom-out view are for which functionality/class/method. It’s just a bit faster sometimes than clicking on a class/method name from a list to jump there.

4. Multi-carpet editing

5. Not be made by Microsoft, and not be a subscription model, and preferrably under 400 USD.

Thanks

Sublime Text. I use it myself, and it ticks all of your boxes.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, but it doesn’t look like it’s an IDE. EDIT: never mind, it’s good at finding the compilers.
One thing I can’t find in it which I really liked in Geany is how there’s not a list of classes, functions variables and imports on the left side of the UI which you can sort alphabetically or in the order they appear in the file, and how you can click on the names to jump to that line:

I personally don’t use such a feature. You could try one of the many third-party plug-ins available, if you install https://packagecontrol.io/ .

Thanks I checked. The plugin is outdated, doesn’t work.
I’ve sent them a feature request.
It’s a pretty common feature in code editors. Seems to be the only downside I have with this one.

You can use Ctrl+R to get a pop-up command window with the definitions, you can use the arrows to navigate between them or type to go to a particular definition.

Sublime Text generally relies on this kind of navigation, eg. Ctrl+P to switch between files, Ctrl+Shift+P to search for commands, and Ctrl+Alt+P to switch projects.

I’ve listed the limitations with that here: Clickable list of variables, functions, classes and methods of the file · Issue #5765 · sublimehq/sublime_text · GitHub

The other oddity with Sublime Text is how it handles opening and closing project files. With other tools, you open the project file by opening it. When you start the program not by opening a project file, the program shouldn’t open the project for you. It should assume that if you wanted to open the project, you would open the project. But the biggest issue with this approach is that if you keep the project open before closing the editor, then click on any text file in the explorer that has been assigned to the editor, Sublime Text will open that file, but also open the last project file and assign the file to the project. Similarly, if you have Sublime Text open, and click on any other text file assigned to it in your explorer, it will get added to the current Sublime Text session and get added to the project, rather than opening another editor window with only that text file open.
This is very unusual compared to other editors like Geany, or really any other program I have ever used, not just code editors but 2d art, 3d art, audio editors, CADs, DAWs. Imagine if you clicked on an image file or 3d file and Blender or GIMP opened the latest project file you worked on and added those files to those projects. it would be weird.

Personally, I really like that I can just open Sublime after restarting and continue where I left off the last time I had it open, even if I closed it uncleanly with unmodified changes to files. I can always press Ctrl+Alt+P to open the project switcher if that’s not what I want.

I can see how that interferes with just wanting to open a dedicated window for a particular file you want to view outside the context of an existing workspace, though.

Have you tried changing the “hot_exit” setting in the Settings? From the description, it sounds like setting it to “false” might do what you want.

Sorry, I was just ranting.

My main point is I dislike how Sublime Text is being different where there doesn’t seem to be a clear advantage to it. It just feels like the devs are being hipsters.
It’s like how Blender had right click for selecting for decades. I don’t care if it is intuitive if it is not similar to other programs. We have so many programs in game dev we have to remember how to use, everything following standards and common practices just makes our life easier.

Having settings in a config file is also not common, so many things that can go wrong, and settings is just harder to categorize, group and navigate in code compared to GUI.