Using Anaconda with Panda3D

I prefer working with Anaconda environments because of their ability to handle dependencies, and to switch between different versions of Python. They are essentially the same as virtual envs but more flexible.

I recently set up an Anaconda environment for a Panda3D project, installing the entire download into my python site packages folder. I copied and pasted the panda.pth file into site packages as well. I took the hello world tutorial and it’s working fine, however, with this configuration, I believe I will have to download Panda3D for every project. I’m not a big fan of sharing environments with multiple projects, and it’s actually not that big of a file.

Anyone care to give an honest opinion on this set up? Is there anyone out there using Anaconda with Panda3D? By any chance can you share with the community how you set up your environment?

Thanks

1 Like

First, install the SDK it has all the examples and you want those just to test stuff and run the tutorials.

Second, after creating my p3d environment, I installed panda3d using pip, not the conda installer: I had a lot of bad luck with that for many months. Now that I’ve done that it works fine (pip install panda3d from your conda prompt once you’ve activated your p3d environment).

Third, for spyder users. I don’t typically run my scripts from spyder, but from the conda prompt. When I run from Spyder things get squirrely AF and I get a lot of errors that force me to restart my kernel (this is especially bad when I close Panda windows). I found it’s much easier to sit there editing in one window (either Spyder or whatever text editor you want, but I like Spyder that comes with Conda), and then just run the code from the folder your code is in.

Anyway, that’s what worked for me, it took me a while to figure out a good workflow.