Ubuntu 22.04 framework.open_window() crashes on GLGraphicsStateGuardian::show_gl_string()

Hello,

I’m having an issue with panda3D 1.11.0 on Ubuntu 22.04 (python 3.10.4) where I can’t get the window to open with C++. The code crashes (segfault) inside GLGraphicsStateGuardian::show_gl_string() when calling framework.open_window(). The code used to trigger the error is the grassy scenery example.

Everything works fine with the python API and pview also loads models normally.

Both python and C++ libs where compiled from source by pulling the latest (at time of writing this) available changes from the git repository and following the Linux installation tutorial.

Compile command:

python3 makepanda/makepanda.py --everything --installer --no-egl --no-gles --no-gles2 --no-opencv --wheel

I then installed the .deb & .whl packages manually.

I can get to opening a window with C++ if I change the Config.prc file to load the tinydisplay instead of pandagl but doing so prevents me from using shadow mapping (shadows simply doesn’t show at all).

Here is a post that seems to be related but I don’t know how to go further from this (not a linking/compilation expert here):

Any idea what to do next?

You need to look for a problem with the parameters when compiling. For example, it says here what parameters are needed. Running your Program — Panda3D Manual

The linked post is about macOS and does not apply to you.

Could you share which flags you are using to compile your C++ program?