Transparency and Pusher(CollisionHandlerPusher) Questions (Answered/Solved)


#21

Well, to be accurate I toke the Z component of the surface normal fed it to a variable then fed that to another variable subtract it by seven degrees as 7.9 was a flat surface from my tests only to add that subtraction incrementally to the velocity (the walking speed) and speed (sliding speed) as Z component reduces the more surface turns (from tests).

So I would get about a 0.4 increase of velocity per surface turn on average, anyway, said bump in speed is converted into positive or negative, from tests, negative increases the speed and positive decreases the speed, so what would happen was the walking movement gradually stops forcing the sliding movement to activate when walking stops.

Sorry, I want don’t want to give you the wrong idea, my Z-axis’s speed is completely controlled by simple algorithm that constantly pushes down and checks for “jamming” (the method the pusher seems to use from tests), on reporting of if the character landed or not, sorry for the confusion.

Edit: if your suggesting X and Y movement in conjunction with Z movement, I tried it, and it works, well the Y works to be more accurate, and there lies my problem, the X movement.


#22

Yes! finally I got sliding to work good! many thanks to Thaumaturge for the huge help, there were some parts to this that I couldn’t have implement properly without his help, also getting the lookAt function the finally work clinched the deal, it seems my problem with the lookAt function was I was using “getRelativePoint()” instead of using “getSurfacePoint”.

So now with this out of the way, it is time the figure out the transparency issue, once again, big thanks to everyone involved.

Edit: oh, and before I forget, here is the prototype of the working concept. slipns.zip (1.5 MB)


#23

I’ve very glad that you got it working! Well done, and I’m glad if I’ve been of service. :slight_smile:


#24

yes, much thanks “Thaumaturge”. it is hard road, but slowly I,m getting this prototype up and running.

Edit: 30 days later, I re-looked into the transparency issue as it was never solved, until today, yes, “rdb”'s code worked and it is what I implemented, but sadly it seems I can only get panda3d to render a entire model transparent, so that is what I did, I separated the water layer into it’s own egg file and made it transparent.

Thanks to the panda3d user “zephyro” for suggesting on another unrelated thread using “TransparencyAttrib.M_dual” set to 1 for the transparent object along with the scene setBin background to 1 to fix the additional render issues that came with this.