-----

Panda3D has never been built with Python 2.5. In fact, Panda3D is not yet compatible with Python 2.5 (under Windows).

Is it possible that Panda’s built-in copy of Python used to be first in your PATH, but now, your own Python 2.5 is now first in the path?

Guys, please stop advising people to alter their PYTHONPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. That advice is correct under one circumstance only — they’ve just compiled panda, and they want to test it without installing it. Otherwise, this is bad advice.

Oh, ok. Sorry, I thought he compiled it himself, since he was talking about Python 2.5 ?!?

I am having the same problems as lettier. I followed the instructions to have panda.pth point to my panda installation - “c:/Panda3D-1.4.1” or “c:/Panda3D-1.4.1/bin” - but either way I get this:

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Cannot find libpandaexpress. Exiting.

or:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "load.py", line 1, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
ImportError: No module named direct.directbase.DirectStart

I could copy the libpandaexpress.lib file to my lib folder, but I really don’t want to muck with Python directories like that and is probably not the proper way of doing it. So, did I read the panda.pth instructions incorrectly or is there something I am missing? Thanks.

When I say, “Panda3D is not yet compatible with Python 2.5 under Windows,” I’m telling the truth. It really isn’t compatible, it won’t work.

Python 2.5 cannot load DLLs. This is a new limitation in version 2.5. Until we find a way around this limitation, we have to stick with 2.4.

I see that no really means no! I just never assumed that this type of error could be associated with differing versions. Thank you for both making that perfectly clear and delivering a timely response. Someone may want to add bold to that part of the instructions. :wink: Thanks again!

:frowning:

Sadness all round. I have exactly the same message come up using Python 2.4.4 and Panda 1.4.2. Does anyone out there have any idea what the problem could be?

Background info …

Windows box

I was originally trying to run with Python 2.5 but dropped back to 2.4.4 after reading the body of this post.

I am trying to run my python script from my python IDE - Wing.

This WAS working six months ago with panda 1.3.2, Python 2.4.1 and WING but I don’t recall having to do anything special to make things go.

The .py file I am running is situated in the Panda root directory so it should be able to see the .bin where libpandaexpress is living.

I am missing something here but I don’t know what. I have spent time making sure that each instalation is OK and that there are no dual installations on the system. But I have exhausted my meagre knowledge on this issue - hence this post.

Looking for a guru here - thanks in advance

Spinnaker

Having got onto the trail of .pth files I noticed that the python directory shipped with Panda had a Panda.pth file. Contents of which were

…/bin

So I copied this over to my Python24 directory and modified it to …

…/Panda3D-1.4.2/bin

I am now able to run panda scripts through my IDE. Not sure as to the syntax in the file though, but hey - it works. Now to see if Python 2.5 will work as well.

Changing nothing but the target Python directory from Python24 to Python25. Not fogetting to putting the Panda.pth file into the Python25 root directory, my Panda Script dies on this line …

from libpandaexpress import *

whereas previously (In Python2.4.4) it ran ok. I guess that clinches it, I will be developing in Python 2.4.4 for now.

cheers

spinnaker