Structured Character Support

Heyo, there’s a new feature in the panda sourceforge tree that some of you may be interested in. Have you ever been annoyed by the fact that if you make an animated character in panda, you lose all of your hierarchy information? Well, you can now specify a character as structured to cause the entire heirarchy to show up :smiley:

There are two ways to go about this.

1: The old fashioned way

In the egg file of the animated model, you will find a flag

<Dart> { 1 }

This means its a regular old animated char.

<Dart> { structured }

Will changed it to the new system

2: The new fangled way

usually, in addition to generating an egg file, you’ll probably be calling egg-optchar to flag geometry. Well, you shouldn’t to with a structured char.

so instead of

call this

So what does this give you?
The upside is you’ll get the entire scene graph of the model when loaded. Outside of special nodes (lod nodes, model nodes), you should be able to flatten strong back to the non structured state.

The only downside is you’ll get a pandanode heirarchy of all of the joints. These are not actually hooked up to anything, so you may have to be clever about stripping them out.

Anywho, try it out if you get a chance, and let me know if you see anything you think should be fixed.

Thank you for your time,
BD

hmm, i am a little lost with this, because i don’t use animations. But should this tidbit be in the animations manual?