steps to create game online?

Hi all.

I want to create an online little game, I have studied examples of how to insert a .p3d on a website, I’ve also studied as download updates from a server, patching…If I insert my game as an object file (. P3D) on my website will be an online multiplayer game? Does this not consume many resources on the server? What if my game has 500 ususarios connected? Is it better to create a small application that downloads updates and send data to my server without entering my website?. I need someone please guide me about this. I need councils to start building my game.
thanks!

thanks!

Putting a .p3d on your webserver does not automatic make it a multiplayer game. If only it was that easy :slight_smile:. When a player visits your p3d webpage their computer downloads the p3d file, like it would download any other program. The p3d then runs on their personally machine. The only resources your server needs to use is bandwidth to deliver the p3d.

To make a multiplayer game you need to write network code in the client so it can talk to other computers. What that looks like will depend on the kind of multiplayer game you want to make. If you can give a little more detail on what you have in mind we could point you in the right direction.

Network code isn’t easy for me, I think it is one of the harder parts of making a game. If network code is new to you I suggest doing what I did. I wrote a small python chat bot that connected to a chat system. Gtalk, irc, facebook chat, and aim are some examples. It helped me learn how to write network code.

OK THANKS!

I want to make a multiplayer racing game, with 3 or 5 players per game, very simple, without great graphics… I saw this example of multiplayer online Ralph ([NetRalph: Roaming Ralph goes networking)), from there I got the idea of embedding a .p3d on the web for a multiplayer game. But I think it is not good idea. Is that correct?. I did not write anything about networking, but I have examples of how to send messages to the server, and download files, and synchronize … my question was about inserting a file . p3d on a website, and then convert it into a multiplayer, like to example of Ralph. What is the best option in terms of performance? What would be the first step to build my car game multiplayer online ?

for example:

Step1: create a small application
Step 2: upload your application to a server
… …
… …

Thanks!

The first step is you are going to need to code a game server. This is a different program than a web server, and you have to make it. Its job is to accept messages from clients, make sure no one is cheating, and update clients.

You will want to read up on client-server architecture to learn how to do this.

OK THANKS!
I Will study the topic you say. I will be advising about my progress.
Thanks!