[solved] Error/Crash w. Directx9 & ATI Mobility Radeon X

Hi folks,

I have a brand new Lenovo T60 notebook with a ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 graphic card on Windows XP Professional. Supports DirectX9 with Shader modell (version 3).

When I run Panda3d in Directx9 mode I get the following crash:

:display:wdxdisplay9(error): adapter #0 CheckDeviceType failed for surface fmt D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
:display:wdxdisplay9(error): adapter #0 CheckDeviceType failed for surface fmt D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
:display:wdxdisplay9(fatal): Can't create any screen buffers, bailing out.
:display:wdxdisplay9(error): fatal: must be trying to create two fullscreen windows: not supported
Assertion failed: _d3d_device != NULL, file panda/src/dxgsg9/dxGraphicsStateGuardian9.cxx, line 2382

When I use DirectX8 and OpenGL it works, but the shaders demo’s dont work (driver reports no shader support) and the advanced texture sample does not show the teapot but a distorted picture with wired colors.

ATI graphic driver is on the newest version, I already re-installed DirectX9 also. All Windows updates are also installed.

I have no idea how to handle the problem. I bought the notebook for having more 3d power (my old notebook had a on-board graphic card) and now I’m quite disappointed, of course.

Any pointers?

Regards,
Andrew

Hi folks,

an additional error occured now (I assume that reinstalling DirectX9 caused it):

Don’t have the time to dig into the details… But it seems that - somehow - the d3d-device could not be created…

In meantime I installed some heavy 3d games (like Counstrike 1.6) to see if I have a basic issue with the drivers/graphic card. But works… not fast, but usable.

Regards,
Andrew

I downgraded the ATI driver to 8.31. Now everything is fine, even shaders.

Regards,
Andrew

Have the same problem on card ATI Radeon X1600 PRO. Will let you know if this helped.

[color=red]EDIT: Changing the drivers did solved the issue! :smiley: