[SOLVED] Compiling 1.7 in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic

Hello everyone,

I am trying to compile the 1.7 release without too much success.

This is what I am doing:

makepanda.py --nothing -> everything ok, no warning, no errors.

python makepanda/installpanda.py --prefix /usr/local
ldconfig

python makepanda/installpanda.py --prefix /usr/local

python samples/Asteroids/Tut-Asteroids.py 

and this is what I get:

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "samples/Asteroids/Tut-Asteroids.py", line 13, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "/usr/local/share/panda3d/direct/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 3, in <module>
    from direct.showbase import ShowBase
  File "/usr/local/share/panda3d/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 10, in <module>
    from pandac.PandaModules import *
ImportError: No module named pandac.PandaModules

So the PYTHONPATH has:

/usr/local/lib/panda3d
/usr/share/lib/panda3d  

and there is pandac in:

/usr/local/share/panda3d/pandac 

So any idea what the problem could be?

By the way in pandac/input/ instead of having a list of .py modules I have lib.in.( no idea what they are…)

thanks

Why did you compile with --nothing? That compiles it without X11, OpenGL, Python, etc. That’s why you are not able to run anything, because you didn’t compile a display interface and no Python support either.

You should compile with --everything instead. (For the record, you can also append the --installer option, this will generate a .deb file that you can install.)

I didn’t read INSTALL-MK carefully enough… I thought OpenGL and Python weren’t part of the thirparty libs.
By the way I compiled using --everything, no --installer because I don’t want to install it right now, I added path/to/built to the PYTHONPATH and path/to/built/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and when I try to run

python built/samples/Asteroids/Tut-Asteroids.py

I get this error:

__builtin__.config = getConfigShowbase()
NameError: name 'getConfigShowbase' is not defined

Any clue about the possible problem?

thanks

just found this post…

discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=7455

I’ll recompile without ffmpeg. I don’t think I need it at the momenent.

compiling with --no-ffmpeg throws this error. Is it still looking for an ffmpeg lib?

memecs@memecs-desktop:~/panda3d-1.7.0$ python makepanda/makepanda.py --no-ffmpeg
Generating library cache...
Generating dependencies...
[ 37%] Linking executable built/bin/apply_patch
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libavutil.so.50, needed by /usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_get_bits_per_pixel@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_pix_fmt_descriptors@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_freep@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_log@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_mallocz@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_malloc@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_free@LIBAVUTIL_50'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Storing dependency cache.

Updates:

I recompiled on a different machine with --no-ffmpeg flag and still I get this error:

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "samples/Asteroids/Tut-Asteroids.py", line 13, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "/home/memecs/panda3d-1.7.0/built/direct/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 3, in <module>
    from direct.showbase import ShowBase
  File "/home/memecs/panda3d-1.7.0/built/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 14, in <module>
memecs@memecs-desktop:~/panda3d-1.7.0$ python makepanda/makepanda.py --no-ffmpeg

The whole concept of thirdparty packages has been removed on Linux now. I suggest removing your thirdparty tree entirely, removing the “built” dir and trying again. With --everything, it will detect which software you have installed on your system, and will build against the right ones.

Weird, there must be a different issue. What if you try:

from panda3d.core import *

Back on the other machine where i previuosly installed and then removed it ffmpeg, I am getting this:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libavutil.so.50, needed by /usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_get_bits_per_pixel@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_pix_fmt_descriptors@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_freep@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_log@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_mallocz@LIBAVUTIL_50'

I'll let you know what i get when importing panda3d.core * as soon as I'll be back home (other machine)
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_malloc@LIBAVUTIL_50'
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0: undefined reference to `av_free@LIBAVUTIL_50'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Storing dependency cache.

I have compiled with --everything, getting the following warnings:

WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package artoolkit, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package ffmpeg, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package swscale, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package opencv, excluding from build

Looks like a conflicting version of Panda or so, or it’s picking up libraries from your previous build.
Try removing the “built” directory and completely uninstalling any copy of Panda3D on your system.

But for the record, we have Ubuntu karmic .debs on the download page. Why exactly do you need to compile Panda3D for yourself?

For the record I am one the guy at ETC whose project is screwing your great work…

I am kidding. But yeah basically there is this project here at ETC where we are supposed to enlarge the selection of shader input from Panda to CG.

And this is why I want to compile without installing panda3D.

By the way I found I still had older headers in /usr/include/ so let’s see if it works without them

Ah, oh, I see. You really need to remove old versions of Panda3D, this will do:

sudo dpkg -P panda3d

That’s most likely the cause of all your troubles, because you had ffmpeg errors while even --everything excluded ffmpeg (you dont have the ffmpeg development libraries installed).

So removing the headers fix that problem. But now I am back to the other one:

Reading an old post I thought this was related to the ffmpeg libraries. But I do not have ffmpeg installed, indeed when I compiled with --everyhing I got the warning about ffmpeg missing.

Thanks for helping by the way.

Can you try an import like:

import libp3direct
No module named lib3direct

These are my dirs:

export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/home/memecs/panda3d-1.7.0/built
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/memecs/panda3d-1.7.0/built/lib

You misspelled it. Import libp3direct, not lib3direct

And you need to add built/lib to the PYTHONPATH as well. (unless you use “make install” or the “–installer” option, then this will all be done for you.)

Thanks a lot, adding built/lib to the PYTHONPATH solved the problem