Simple way to incorporate fmodex?

I’m looking for an easy way to use fmodex in panda3d, mainly for obstruction and occlusion based on geometry. Is there a quick and easy way to drop this in? I’ve seen some posts about using makepanda and using fmodex as a third party library. Has anyone successfully built panda3d with fmodex and been able to use it? If so, please share your wisdom :smiley:

We ship Panda with FModex, but we don’t expose any of the advanced interfaces for sound occlusion. I don’t have any experience with that.

You’ll probably have to make the appropriate calls into FModex yourself.

David

Ok, I’ll look into how fmodex handles these features more closely, and thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity… is fmod the best option for advanced 3d audio like obstruction, or is there another sound engine that could accomplish this more easily in panda3d?

I haven’t looked at 3-d sound much myself. As far as I know, your two choices are FMod and OpenAL, and between the two FMod appears to be more robust (but OpenAL is free, and is working hard to catch up).

David

Ok, thanks again for the advice. We’ll probably stick with FMod for now unless we get into commercial development. I’ve read that interrogate can wrap c++. I don’t suppose there’s there a way to use it with c? Has anyone already attempted this with either OpenAl or FMod? Thanks.

C is (almost) a subset of C++, so any tool that can handle C++ can, by definition, also handle C. This includes interrogate.

But I don’t think I’d recommend interrogate to directly expose the interfaces in a large third-party library like OpenAL or FMod. Although it can be done, it would be painful; and there are other tools (like SWIG or Boost.Python) that are better designed for this sort of thing.

David

You can also look at existing projects like pyopenal, pysonicex, pyfmodex.