Samples won't run

Hi:

I just installed you latest Panda3D for Windows. When I try to run the samples using the run command, I get a momentary MSDOS screen, but it disappears instantly so I don’t know what the problem is.

I am running a Gateway laptop with Windows XP, an AMD Sempron processor and an ATI Radeon 300m display.

Any ideas what I need to do? I do have opengl, that works with Poser.

Thanks

IGC

have you tried to start the samples usingn the command-promt? there usualy is an error-message displayed there.

Yes, a window opens with the messages

[b]Direct start, starting the game.
Known pipe types,

[/b]

that window closes almost instantly (I had to run it several times to make out this text.)

Another window opens with some text in it, and closes too soon to make it out, there seem to be about 5 to 10 lines.

Then a third window opens (all blank as far as I can tell,) and it too closes instantly, and that’s it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

IGC

that’s why i’m asking you to run the samples >>from<< the cmd. meaning. you open the commandpromt. navigate to the directory in which your sample is located and start it with “ppython yoursample.py” dunno if you have to put the full path in front of python. i’m not a windows user so i cant tell.
if you open the samples using the cmd, it should not disappear after execution.

To get the proper starting point…

Open a DOS box (Start -> Run In the window that pops up, enter cmd and hit enter.)

Next, right click the shortcut for the demo you are trying to run, and select properties. There are 2 lines you are interested in: Start In and Target.

Change directory to what is in the Start In line. Once there, enter the command as shown in the Target line.

This will keep the window open after the error, and you should be able to read the full error message as it comes up.

This is what I got when running from the command line.

C:\Panda3D-1.6.2\python>ppython c:\Panda3D-1.6.2\samples\Procedural-Cube\Tut-Procedural-Cube.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Known pipe types:
wglGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:display:wgldisplay(error): SetPixelFormat(57) failed after window create
:display(error): Window wouldn’t open; abandoning window.
:ShowBase(warning): Unable to open ‘onscreen’ window.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “c:\Panda3D-1.6.2\samples\Procedural-Cube\Tut-Procedural-Cube.py”, line 9
, in
from direct.directbase import DirectStart
File “C:\Panda3D-1.6.2\direct\directbase\DirectStart.py”, line 4, in
ShowBase.ShowBase()
File “C:\Panda3D-1.6.2\direct\showbase\ShowBase.py”, line 229, in init
self.openDefaultWindow(startDirect = False, props=props)
File “C:\Panda3D-1.6.2\direct\showbase\ShowBase.py”, line 726, in openDefaultW
indow
raise StandardError, ‘Could not open window.’
StandardError: Could not open window.

C:\Panda3D-1.6.2\python>

Anything there that gives a clue?

I am going to install Panda3D on a HP Vista computer, see if that helps.

Thanks again,

IGC

This is a known problem with certain graphics drivers. See this thread for a workaround: https://discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=6541

David

Thank you, I changed the code to directx 8 and everything works (within the limits of the graphics on this laptop.)

I also installed Panda3D onto an HP Pavilion Vista desktop computer, and on a Dell B110 running XP. Both of these worked ‘out of the box’ without changing from openGL.

I have done the hello world tutorial, and that went well.

Until I need more help,

IGC