recording a video of your game

OK, I think have asked this before…
Basically I want to make a video (or just pictures and audio and glue them in Blender) of my game.
I remember the method mentioned before by you guys which makes an image each frame:

base.movie(namePrefix='videofolder/vid', duration=200, fps=30, format='png', sd=4, source=None)

Though it really kills the framerate it works, but I need to record the audio as well.
Found some programs on the internet that used the PC mic (very bad quality) to record the audio. And they were also trial limited version.
What do you use to record your game?

In windows you can use Fraps. You might even be able to get Xfire to record panda applications as well. I searched one of my favorite websites, lifehacker, for screencasting software and I found these two as well:

camstudio.org/
screentoaster.com/

I am not sure if they will meet your audio needs, I didn’t look at the features too closely.

I still can’t record the audio.
Thanks for trying

Can you not set Audacity to record audio and then combine audio and video in a video editor?

You mean record from speakers with PC microphone? (low quality)

for windows i also recommend:
nchsoftware.com/capture/

For linux there is gtk-capture or some thing but i cant say i recommend it.

No, it does not involve the microphone. If you are in windows you will want to set up recording from What you hear is what you get, Sterio Mix, or Wave Mix (they are all the same thing). As long as your audio driver supports that feature, you can record audio from your computer directly to disk.

Um how exactly? Mixer Toolbar? Its greyed out…

There is so much variation between audio drivers I can’t really give step by step instructions on it.

hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lof … 20494.html

see if you can find something useful there

For windows, CamStudio and Wink are usefull but not very powerfull for the audio. An other solution for all platform is screentoaster which is very easy to use.

After that, should you need to record, retouch or export to the fomat you wanted, here you’ll have to pay!

errm, recording with an external application will let our FPS drop as well. maybe not as much as the panda internal function, but the impact will stay.
have you already tried jpeg compression in conjunction with panda’s movie feature? i could imagine that png is quite expensive as it’s lossless.

I didn’t notice the impact.

Saves few fps.
The real problem with this method is no sound. I could record my game while playing under 7 fps.

Doesnt do anything here, at least not a row of screenshots.

Creates a screenshot, following the usual naming convention. Then FPS go down to 30; game goes a lot slower than normal (how can that even be?) and jitters; CPU load does not change in sum, just a bit more system load. After duration is over, game comes back to normal. No difference between jpg or png. No resulting files except the screen.

The above command will create a sequence of image filenames called videofolder/vid_0001.png, videofolder/vid_0002.png, and so on. You do have to make sure the folder named videofolder already exists, of course.

I don’t expect any difference between png and jpeg; if anything, png would probably be just a smidge faster. You might find an uncompressed format like bmp would be faster yet, depending on your hardware. But still it won’t be anything approaching real time. The function call slows down the clock to compensate for the decreased frame rate, so that when you play back the frames at the specified frame rate (30 in this case), it moves at a normal speed.

Sound is not captured by this mechanism.

David

Note that if you stored it as png using base.movie, transparency will also be stored. It took me a while to figure out why my background color didn’t show up. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I noticed that too.
But when you have a skybox/skydome/etc it doesn’t matter.
So far the only good way mentioned to record video+audio was Panda3d+Audacity, though I still can’t set up audacity to record from soundcard and I might have problems alligning the audio with video later

That’s good to know.

So you can’t really play your game during recording? So it’s more like a renderer for demos, like Seismovision for Quake, where you take a demo and can render it out frame by frame at higher resolutions and more eyecandy for editing? So what does the duration setting mean then, internal clock or external? The latter would be a bit hard to predict :confused:

Right, exactly, unless you’re real patient. The duration indicates time on the internal clock, of course–it indicates the duration of the final resulting video.

David

For completeness. This seems like a good solution for Windows people too
http://sourceforge.net/projects/taksi/[/url]