Questions about linking third party

Hi,
I want to make ffmpeg with panda3d on linux, i’m quite confused right now, firstly I use sudo apt-get install ffmpeg, and also check the link of ffmpeg, all things work fine, but when I make panda3d, it shows: WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package ffmpeg, excluding from build.
Do I need to download ffmpeg from source and make it by myself and link it to panda3d? or I can just use the rebuild version, and how to link it?

Thanks.

Well that depends.

if it is using ffmpeg , as an application, then there is probably an issue with the directory of the executable, however that seems unlikely.

if it’s ffmpeg as a library, the more likely case, then you are looking for a package

libXXX-dev

it appears there are several libraries available which could work, for example libavcodec-dev. see this page:

I’m not sure which one panda3d requires, so someone more knowledgeable than I will have to help…

1 Like

You only need FFMpeg if you want to be able to play video files with Panda3D, or decode sound files of formats other than those supported by default (which are wav, ogg, flac, and opus).

You can install the development libraries you need with:

sudo apt install libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libswscale-dev
1 Like