project mmorpg!

Hello everybody and everything!
I’m new here in the forum and I live in Brazil, so I’m sorry if my English is bad.

Next I do not know if I’m in the right place, but come on, I’m building a project of a 3d game mmorpg using Panda3D with the python language, and has only one programmer in our project and has 3 3D modeling, I want you to go in to the project with in the program, more details just ask ok!

hi, welcome to panda3d forum.

before i do anything else… i read the word “mmorpg” which urges me to give this advice: “dont make mmorpg’s”.

ok my stupid advice aside. it’s great to see (yet another) team working on a mmorpg asking for people to join in. nothing’s wrong with that.
please do so in the appropriate forum. this is “panda features in development” which is made for new features inside the panda engine. not for games beeing developed with it. so this would belong into the “showcase” section.

recruting people is fine. but you wont attract (m)any if you dont tell others about the idea behind the game, plot, settings. what people you’r looking for. what’s the current project status and progress, maybe posting some artwork,too. etc.

i know i sound like an old man telling kids to get off his lawn. but every now and then people post on the forum “hey we are making a mmorpg”. those people often dont know what it takes to create an mmorpg, or the fact that most of them intended to create an morpg instead of an mmorpg. unfortunately, most most of these projects get dropped halfway. try searching the forum for “mmorpg” … you’ll find quite an number of posts regarding that issue

so… it would be nice to learn a bit more about your project in general, your goals and how you intend to reach them.

Well, I know that I came so suddenly talking about creating a mmorpg, I know only one game is already a difficult rpg harder still, mmorpg and we talk, is the end of the difficult, but all the GUI is already mounted, we need only developers to help our programmer ta breaking the head alone, ThomasEgi know you must be one of those guy who knows programming from end to end, and if you join this project and promise to give the floor the team that this is not just another project that will end after some time, this will be to show that “we can”

a gui is nothing compared to writing the server framework which is capable of handling thousands of players at low latency, without breaking, overloading, self corrupting, beeing a security problem, easy to hack or manipulate or anything else.

writing a mmorpg-client is easy. i mean really easy. you can propably do that in a few weeks.

writing a server can take ages if you start from scratch. i know cause i once started to write my own one. after 6 month i ended up with a working server which was just able to handle the most basic tasks such as chatting, players walking around, login, logout and automatic connection-drop detection. in the meantime panda’s documentation on things such as distributed nodepath where improved. but the problem remains. writing an efficient server. or even one that is capable of handling more than a few hundret players is very difficult.

difficulty aside. it takes literally ages to complete that task.sure it’s not impossible. but it’s no fun. it’s a lot of hard work and you earn little excepct a lot of network programming experience.

my advice. to you ,aswell to all others before and after you. start small. feel free to code a client , for the client it wont make a different if rpg or mmorpg. and write a small server at the same time. small as in as simple as possible. handling 20 players over the internet , or 100 on a LAN should be enough.
this way you can have fun while creating your project. you dont need to spend month to come up with a great server and it still works.
and… once it’s all working for a small number of players, may it be 8 players or 100. you can start coding a new, great server which is capable of handling more. you’r not loosing anything that way and it’s more rewarding.plus, once you have a working client and some server to fool around with. you can use that to advertise for more programmers.

oh. and thx for asking me to join in. but i dropped all my mmorpg efforts for personal reasons. i just dont see any RPG play in mmorpg’s these days. so i dont see a reson to write yet an other non-roleplayed-massive-multiplayer-role-play-game :stuck_out_tongue:. i found writing minigames a lot more enjoyable. creating a game in a day or a week is a lot more rewarding then spending many moons on one big thing.

:smiley: hey man if i was a better code junky i would help i love mmorpg’s BUT im actually busy TRYing like i said TRYING to make my own its just me and my bro… and i have to say its hard and the thing is we are using multiverse for everything like they have the server already and a working client everything you just make the world… but what sucks is thers so much limits!! like hell anyway im going with thomasEgi start small just by reading the topic made me think 2ce… also i have been searching for an game engine like allnight long raiding forums and so on hopefully im at the right place now im busy downloading the needed stuff now :slight_smile:

Sorry for the wierdness’’'sss im mostly high :slight_smile:

You might want to check out: worldforge.org/

No reason you couldn’t use panda3d for the client while leveraging worldforge server stuff.

Hey all, I just registred here on panda3D…
First off, I’ve been wanting to create my own 3D MMORPG since I was like 10 years old.

Well, I’ve tried… lots of times. But always fail since… 1. It’s fucking hard.
2. It takes ALOT of time. and 3. It’s almost impossible to do it alone.

So, basicly. I wanna ask you guys if you know of any nice engines/servers or something that’s good for creating a 3D MMORPG. I’ve tried realmcrafter but it kinda sucked. and I’ve tried some others but I can’t recall the name of those engines.

Anyways, I have some experience in 3D Studio max. I know nothing when it comes to c++ or any coding/scripting for that matter.

Anyways, visit my website at www.pixelborn.tk
or at youtube.com/vannras

If anyone want’s to join… I’m having an idea to create an mmorpg very soon. just need some help… lost of help tbh.

Hi, arakash.

Many people have tried to create their own MMORPGs before you, and most of them have failed. How hard it is depends on what engine and language you choose. Panda3D and Python are easy to learn, but making an MMORPG will take lots of time, even if you’ve got a big crew.

I’d recommend you first learn Python, then Panda3D. After that, you should try to make a base for a MMORPG with some simple features, and post screenshots/videos in these forums. Then, if you have done a good job, and with some luck, people may want to join your project.

Don’t give up!

Making an MMOG is hard. The commercial ones probably take a few decades of man hours to produce. People want to make games that are most familiar and they love the most, for a lot of people that is a MMOG. Question you should think about is what you are really trying to do. Are you trying to tell a story? Try a unique game mechanic? etc etc.

I would wager that a MMOG is not the best way to go about it. Find that one, specific thing you really want to do and just make a small prototype game out of it.

Thanks for the reply guys.
Yeah I’ve heard of python. I might try it out. Might take some month’s to learn I guess.

My idea is to create a very polished game, a game that has everything. PVP, PVE, many different races and classes. and crafting. housing. player built mounts and ships. Well this would be something I could do in a couple of years, if I learn some coding language ofc.

If you guys wanna see some of the stuff I’ve made I have some videos on my website. thanks again.

Arakash/afflicto.

I’m not gonna tell you, Arakash, that you should start small, because that would be a hypocrisy coming from my keyboard, but you should be realistic about what you’re trying to achieve. ATM it looks to me like you would like to clone WoW - an MMORPG with everything. Simple answer - it’s impossible. You won’t make it alone, with no experience in codding and, presumably, game design, in a reasonable amount of time. Period. It’s not some strange way of motivating you, it’s the truth - you won’t make it in a reasonable amount of time, especially if you do it as a hobby, a secondary work in your free time. And I’m guessing that would be the case, because very few people can just jump into something like this with no school or job to hold them back.

Also, you’re saying “if I learn some codding language”. That’s the main mistake many people (including me) make when approaching programming the first time - confusing programming with programming language. Learning the basics (or even advanced stuff) of programming languages is one thing, learning to actually use them to be able to create something interesting is another. Much more difficult. It’s like the difference between being a poet and being able to communicate in English/Polish/Japanese/Swahili. You may even know many languages but that doesn’t make you a poet.

Even more importantly, codding a “hello world” or even a small tetris or breakout clone is nothing (it’s not a metaphor, it’s literal) compared to codding a huge game. Especially a game such as MMORPG that must be very, very well designed in order to make it possible for it to easily evolve in the future. It must have a very well though out modular design that an inexperienced programmer will have a very, very hard time coming out with. Even for Panda and Python despite the fact both make it a lot easier.

Besides, since you have no experience in codding I assume you have no experience in networking as well. And I’m sure you have no experience with the programmer side of networking. And networking is almost the most important thing in MMOs.

And the last but not least - design. Many people think that the path from “liking games and knowing a lot about them” to being able to design own games is very short. In fact it’s not. Especially if you want to design a big, big thing. You must know how to design things and learning that takes reading, time and practice. Many designs will go to trash, many you will trash after prototyping them, but every one of them will take time. It just doesn’t work like “I wanna make a great MMORPG”. If you haven’t designed a big game before, than, trust me, you can’t even begin to imagine how many little, little details there are that affect the game as a whole and how interconnected everything is in such a game.

Again, I’m not trying to scare you away from making games. I’m not even trying to scare you away from making an MMO. I’m just telling you that it won’t be like “I’ll start now and in 2 or 3 years a game will pop out”. It will take more time than that and it will take a lot of hard work. You must be prepared for that if you want to engage in such a project. If you enter it with unrealistic view of “I wanna make the best game in the world alone in 2 years with zero knowledge and it will be fun” then you will burn out in 2 weeks or 2 months tops - as soon as you realize how false that view was. Aim high but be realistic about what you’re doing.

I took a C++ class in high school and a Java class at university, so I learned the basics of for loops, if then else statements, variables, and classes. Writing my first real program, an IRC bot, I realized all the things coppertop has mentioned. I was dealing with just text and it took me months and several rewrites. I’ve gone back to rewrite it in Python 3 and I am still amazed at all the stupid things I did.

I too have the problem of jumping in the deep end, I am working on two different city builders with panda and they are kicking my posterior.

A really good book (imho) on game design is a Theory of Fun for Game Designers. Very good read if you can find it in the library or buy it.

Thanks Coppertop.

I guess your right.
Hm., Blizzard used 9 years on wow.

What do you suggest that I should be starting with?
You are saying I should start small, and I agree with that. Where should I begin?

Sorry to butt in I would start with learning Python. (that slowed me down more than anything else)(disregard if you already learned python)

Then I would learn the basics of 3d modeling. (I am not good at it but I understand it enough now to know what I need)

Then I would do one small scene (single player) with all the stuff you like:

stage 1: make a scene and walk around it- collisions and movement

stage 2: Add gui, items, inventory, and paperdolling (altering models in game throgh texturing or model changes) I did all this as one lump on my first program. Though I did not go very deep on paperdolling.

stage 3: Add dialogue- this was very hard for me.

Stage 4: add physcal combat- mainly just math and animations

stage 5: add some spells- again math and animations- but spell animations can be very simple or highly complicated:)-

Getting one small scene to do all this will take some time but you will learn alot and understand 3d gaming enough to expand later.

From a noob,
JB Skaggs

to sum it up:
start your mmorpg as singleplayer-backyard-simulation.
then turn it into a multiplayer-backyard-simulation, then in some multiplayer-game, and if you managed to get that far. write a new server which does the mmo-part for you :slight_smile:

Just to make sure, you CAN make an mmog with Panda3D?

It’s certainly been done: http://toontown.com http://piratesonline.com

And also outside of Disney as well: http://www.7million.com

David

Oh that is AWESOME!

There’s no reason why it wouldn’t be possible. You just have to remember that all your game logic is going to be handled by a module outside of Panda.

Little bit of an introduction: My ultimate aim is to create a MMOG of my own. I have plans and although I’m far from the most experienced programmer, I’m fairly confident I can get my head around the requirements of such a project. The only major roadblock is the scale. MMOs are all about efficiency, you just have to think about the shear amount of information and content being shovelled around to realise that. And of course, with size comes cost. Unless you’re the sole heir of the entire Western Hemisphere, it’s doubtful you’ll be able to fund a project long enough to start making any kind of return on it.

My plan, and my recommendation to anyone else considering the MMOG genre, is to tackle the core gameplay requirements in miniature first. Something which will familiarise you with highspeed multiplayer networking, large environments, character persistence, that sort of thing. And of course, something you can sell at a reasonable price to give yourself a bit of a financial headstart. You’ll find that despite starting work on your larger projects much later on (Speaking from past experience here), they’ll progress much more rapidly, you’ll have learnt more, and be generally better equipped for whatever you choose to move on to. Which in turn, makes for a better game.