problem with installing Ubuntu 9.04

running Ubuntu 9.04 i installed use a .deb and it said it installed fine then when i tryed to do the test

i run this code

import direct.directbase.DirectStart
run()

and it gives me this and yes i updated python

File "game.py", line 1, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
ImportError: No module named direct.directbase.DirectStart

how do i fix this ?

I am no expert, but it looks like a problem with the graphics side of your setup. have a look at the Config.prc and look for the engine related config lines at the beginning of the file.

No, it looks like your python path is wrong. Start python and type
import sys
print sys.path

You should see panda3d paths in there some place.

Hm, did you install the right deb for the right version of ubuntu? If you run “python -V”, what does it say?
Does running it with “python2.6” help?

I used to have Ubuntu installed, but honestly, I never used it. It just took up HDD space. I also had XP installed too, but I never really used that anymore either.
I tried KDE4 out a while back though, and I found the entire effects to be glitchy, and it’s not like my video card couldn’t handle it (it was a 8800GTS 512 mb). Compiz-Fusion worked great under Ubuntu, so I just came to the conclusion that the effects in KDE4 were poorly written.
So, have the fixed the effects? I remember the minimizing/maximizing effect being extremely buggy. I probably won’t install Linux again until I get a new computer and make my current one a Linux box, but that won’t be until around 2011, after I had graduated from college.