Parallel-Split Shadow Maps (PSSM): Shadows for large scenes

You know, panda3dprojects.com was started to avoid these kind of issues.

Yeah, thanks. I will host the code and the screenshots there.

MIRROR:
youshare.com/Guest/2141c7b595a27528.rar.html
Doesn’t everyone hate rapidshare?

The sample doesn’t seem to work with 1.7

All mirrors, other than the youshare-link, don’t work anymore. The latter failed me too, when I tried to unrar the file. I really hope fabiom is getting back to his plans to rehost the code.

an addition to Tom_L’s comment, I would love to see this code ported to 1.7, or some sort of work done towards this, I’d love to have an understanding of how this works, alas I only have 1.7 :smiley:

Repacked as .zip and uploaded to downloads.shadownode.net/sonstig … h-PSSM.zip

This code sounds very useful, but none of the download links here work anymore, and fabiom’s site at panda3dprojects.com seems empty, and google codesearch can’t find it.

Does anyone still have a copy of this code?

(And/or, a pointer to related code which might be as good or better?)

Wow :open_mouth: I downloaded this just a few days ago…
I put it here. This is the code from first post if I remember well. It worked for me on Panda 1.7.2.

The original approach is in Tut-Roaming-Ralph.py and ShadowManager.py.

I added Tut-Roaming-Ralph_par.py with just a quick try of different shadow cameras movement, to avoid shadowless areas. Check eagle view to see what I mean. Only setShadowLight() and updateLightPos() are mine. This is probably far from optimal and definitely need some shaders (currently use auto shaders). Check fabiom’s solution for these.

Thank you very much!!!

The original version seems to work nicely for me. (I didn’t yet try many options or look at the code – I just wanted to say thanks right away for providing the files.)

Unfortunately I can’t run your modified version, since it hits the same bug in my CVS snapshot of Panda (which is probably specific to my GPU) that I reported recently in the forums, here.

My version is using directional lights with default shadow casting, so it is exactly the situation you described in the other topic.

Anyway, it is not modified version of fabiom’s solution, it is original Roaming Ralph tutorial with two my functions for moving shadow cameras (or lights currently).

I propose to disable shadow casting and see in the eagle view the difference of the two versions - look at frustums of cameras/lights. Sorry, but I have no shaders for this yet. Probably putting it to ShadowManager.py instead of original code for shadow camera movement will work, but I didn’t try this.