Panda3D & Ubuntu 18.04?

Does Panda3D work on Ubuntu 18.04 ? Asking 'coz I ran the installation program packaged in .deb and nothing happened. What I mean by that is that I ran “hello world” that Panda3D recommends to use in order to determine whether the engine is all ready to use and when I ran the code it threw an error saying “no module direct.xyz found”.

Is Panda3D supposed to work under Ubuntu 18.04 ?

Yes, it should work fine on Ubuntu 18.04. How did you install Panda3D? Which version of Python did you run the “hello world” sample with?

I’m using Python 3.6.5 as that’s the version that’s being shipped with 18.04 by default. It is most recent and stable version of Python so presumably there shouldn’t be a problem with that.
I’m also failing to add APT repository. It should work in this format: deb http://archive.panda3d.org/ubuntu bionic main but again that results in error.
Ubuntu 18.04 is quite new so I don’t know if Panda3D is fully compatible with it.

I downloaded and installed SDK but I doubt it actually works without the runtime program.

I just noticed that Bionic Beaver is supported in development builds. So I will give it a go.

The easiest way to install a compatible build is to install it with pip:

sudo pip3 install --pre --extra-index-url https://archive.panda3d.org panda3d

That way you get a build that corresponds to your Python version.

PIP makes Panda3D very easy to install. However, the question arises as to how to choose a specific P3D version, by analogy with Gradle. In Gradle, you can specify the version of binary files, if they are needed. Although the PIP differs in tasks, but sometimes a certain revision is needed.

You can specify a precise version number to install with pip as well. For example, this will work (but in Python 2 only, since Python 3 builds are only in 1.10):

pip2 install panda3d==1.9.4

Or even for a specific buildbot revision, for example, any panda3d version before dev build 1232:

pip install --pre panda3d<1.10.0.dev1232

It’s all good now. Thank you for a quick response ! Much appreciated ! I did the pip3 install and everything was done and dusted. Now I’m learning nuts and bolts of the library. :slight_smile:

Cool, I thought about the problem of distribution. And I came to the idea to write a script.

1. Download python.
  2. Download the panda
  3. Place the desired code
  4. Create a shortcut.

And do not pack everything with the installer.

Perhaps, since you were so helpful in resolving this do you know why I’m getting this rather “misfigured” graphics in Toontown tutorial that I’m learning from ? When I followed Hello World tutorial on this site the graphics were fine.!