Panda3D Game Engine for .Net?

Do you plan to prepare for the .Net version of Panda3D game engine?

No, no one has made any such plans, to my knowledge.

Is there any particular reason you’re suggesting such a thing?

David

I personally would love to be able to use Panda3D with C#.

Personally, I don’t care, but I think making a CLR binding to Panda would just slow its development down.

Well,

(1) This would be a major departure for Panda. It’s almost as if Microsoft designed .Net for the purposes of locking developers in–it’s a completely different environment than anything else. Things written for .Net won’t run in other places, and vice-versa.

(2) There are some advantages to running on .Net, but there are also some major disadvantages. Chief among these is that we would lose platform independence.

(3) I’m not sure that language preference is enough reason to justify this kind of switch.

(4) No one has volunteered to do it anyway. Is anyone here volunteering now? Panda is a community project and things like this aren’t going to happen by themselves.

David

I write .net code professionally, but I prefer python for personal projects.

I see no reason why you can’t learn python if language preference is really your reasoning. You’ll have a little bit of .net baggage which can trip you up if you’re not careful, but python is definately a language worth learning.