Panda crash

My class is experiencing two different problems getting Panda 1.1.0 to run. I have installed the Linux version in a class account and made it publicly readble and executable.

It works fine for some of the students, but others are getting crashes. For some students, when they run pview they get:

$ /home/cs4431/panda3d-1.1.0/built/bin/pview 
Known pipe types:
  glxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
Segmentation fault
$ 

The window appears briefly and then disappears.

Other students are getting:

Known pipe types:
  glxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
FGLTexMgr: open of shared memory object failed (Permission denied)
__FGLTexMgrCreateObject: __FGLTexMgrSHMmalloc failed!!!
fglX11AllocateManagedSurface: __FGLTexMgrCreateObject failed!!
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 2171 of panda/src/glstuff/glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx: out of memory
FGLTexMgr: open of shared memory object failed (Permission denied)
__FGLTexMgrCreateObject: __FGLTexMgrSHMmalloc failed!!!

[repeated many times...]

In some cases we have managed to get it to work by rebooting the machine. Some students managed to get it to go away by running in an “aterm” rather than an “xterm”. It’s just totally mystifying.

Malcolm

David is almost certainly the right person to help you with this particular bug, so let’s wait until he answers.

But bigger picture, I want you to know that we’re very committed to helping schools that are trying to use panda3d. I’m the panda3d distribution maintainer, my cell phone number is 412-370-8848. I can’t help with this specific bug, but I can help with a lot of them. Don’t hesitate to call.

• Josh

Hmm. Line 2171 is where Panda attempts to upload a new vertex buffer. I’m guessing your OpenGL driver is running out of memory and refusing to accept the vertex buffer. It is possible there is a permissions problem with accessing the appropriate AGP memory.

It does appear to be a larger problem with OpenGL installation in general; not specifically a problem with Panda. It may be that one workaround is simply to disable the use of vertex buffers, by adding the line:

vertex-buffers 0

to your Config.prc file. Of course, it might then just fail to load textures, etc.

David

Thanks, I appreciate that, Josh, but given that I am in Australia, making international phone calls is probably not the best solution. It would be expensive, and you may not want to be receiving support calls at 2am!

Malcolm

Cool! You know there’s a branch of the ETC (our school) opening in Adelaide?

But anyhow, you can use my email address too (etc-panda3d@lists.andrew.cmu.edu)

• Josh