[OpenSUSE Tumbleweed] Default repo and liss.so.1

I installed Panda3D from an default repo. There was error that libodd.so.3 cannot be provided, but libodd.so.6 is provided, so I select process installation without takes care about this error and install libodd.so.6.

Now Panda3D is installed on my system, but when I trying to ran sample program (from /usr/share/panda3d/samples/), it complains:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./main.py", line 12, in <module>
    from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 12, in <module>
    from panda3d.core import *
ImportError: liss.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thank for help!

A quick search suggests that “liss.so” is part of “libsquish”. (See the “Third-party dependencies” page for more information on that.)

However, I do note that the above-linked page also indicates that libsquish is optional, and thus this error may be a bug.

I’ve not heard of liss.so.1. Where did you get your Panda build from? We don’t provide OpenSUSE builds—did you build it from source?

It might be easier to uninstall this and install Panda3D using sudo pip install panda3d instead.

@Thaumaturge libsquish is a build-time optional dependency, meaning you can choose to build Panda without support for it, but if this build of Panda is compiled with libsquish support, it cannot be excluded.

Thanks!
I installed from pip, but where could I search for samples?

@rdb Ah, fair enough, and my apologies, then! That does make sense.

Regarding “liss.so.1”, I found a listing for it here: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/srodzaj/1/search/liss.so.1()(64bit). Perhaps it’s a SUSE-specific library.

I have installed Panda3D from PIP. Can you give me a tip, where can I search for samples?

I will do bug report about panda3d package for OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, so I only need your response for previous question and topic can be closed.

Thanks!

You can grab the “samples” dir from the GitHub repository: