old versions of panda3d

Hello,

I’ve recently found a tutorial which could help me a lot, unfortunately it uses bam files version 5.4. Im sticking with the latest versions and dont have the correct (i think 1.1.0) installed anymore. Now i coudnt find any version 1.1.0 download anymore.

Would it be possible to leave all old versions (including exe installers) on a page to download (maybe another past-versions-download page)?

Regards Reto

Hi Hypnos,

I can’t help you with older versions of Panda, sorry, but I’m really interested in the tutorial that you’ve found. If you don’t mind, could you post a link for it?

Cause I’m desperate to get my hands on any and all Panda tutorials.

Thanks

Here’s where you can find 1.1.0:

panda3d.org/oldversions/panda3d-1.1.0.exe

And no, there’s no link on the website yet.

Which probably emphasises the desirability of any tutorials being based on eggs rather than bams, trading some performance for version transparency
(or at least containing the source eggs for any bams, so they can be regenerated with new panda versions - as the “official” tuts do).
Is there a “guidelines for tutorial writers” ? I guess the “code snippets” or “showcase” forums would be where people might add such things - maybe a sticky therein…

the example i was speaking about can be found under this thread:
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php … ight=#6154
look for: “Point 'n click example”

Thanks for the supplied link. Well finally i understand the difference between bam and egg thanks to this problem :slight_smile:

ATM there is no real rule of thumb for tutorial writers or such. If you want to contribute something, feel free to.

Keep in mind that others might have another way of thinking (e.g. “why is he using a dict for that? a list would have been fine too”) and make it as clear and easy to read and understand as possible ( l33t haxx0r code is kewl, but not the best idea for a tut).

Bad example:

def increment(i):
   return(i++)

i=j=0
while j<5:
  print "leet:", i
  j=increment(i)

Nice example:

i=0
while i<5: # as long as i is < than 5 do the following:
  print "Variable i is:",i
  i=i+1      #  a shorter way might be i++ - up to you.

This was just out of the thin air, but I hope that you get the idea behind.

But all in all this are only suggestions. If you feel to write your code in a different way it will be welcome too. It might not suit all readers, but I am sure, some ppl would be happy to read the ideas you have…

Regards, Bigfoot29