No more panda3d for mac?

Hi all,

From the download page, there is nothing related to mac.
(Only pc and linux)
Does this mean that panda3d will never be run on mac?

Thanks in advance
:slight_smile:

I’m using pc but i’m also interested in mac implementation, for my future modeller guy uses mac.

a guide/tutorial easy to follow for installing panda in osx systems would be nice to have, someone should include that in the panda website

:question:

Of course Panda3D has mac support.
And here is a good guide on how:
edalytical.com/articles/buil … opard.html

If panda3d is officially supported, why nothing is mentioned in the manual and download?

www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Main_Page
www.panda3d.org/download.php

Does anyone encounter any problems on mac with panda3d?

Tks pro, the guide looks good,
just lots of strange patches :slight_smile:
c

No, there are plenty Mac users which use it.
Look at the “Compiling and Editing the Panda Source” forum, a lot of them are about mac.
Also, the VR Studio uses Mac too.

snaptothegrid: I fixed those patches in CVS. If you checkout the latest CVS version of Panda3D, you don’t need the patches.

I see, thanks a lot.

So, if we want to run panda3d in mac, we must compile panda3d source code? That means we could not use python in mac os except in win and linux? Am I correct?

So, if we want to run panda3d in mac, we must compile panda3d source code?

Yes and no. You can use a universal binary (I believe _Hypnos has posted universal binaries for Mac on the forums, even for 1.5.3.).
If that doesn’t satisfy you, yes, you would need to build Panda3D yourself.

That means we could not use python in mac os except in win and linux? Am I correct?

No. That makes no sense. Why wouldn’t you be able to use python then? You would only not be able to use it if you didn’t link correctly against python, but normally, I don’t see a reason why you can’t use python.

Hi pro-rsoft:

I am thinking about buying a mac and am curious if panda3d could run on it.
As you said, once there is an universal binary of panda3d on mac, we could use python to code on mac?

As you said, once there is an universal binary of panda3d on mac, we could use python to code on mac? 

If you compile Panda3D from a source package on Mac it will have support for python too. Some people link compiling to C+±only, but that’s not always true. Both of Panda3D’s build systems build with Python support.

Actually, there already is a universal binary of Panda3D.
Please check this forum thread:
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=3402
Scroll a bit down to see the latest (1.5.3) release.

PS. I’m currently in the process of adding Mac support to makepanda, that means it will be able to automatically build a universal binary.

Thanks, pro-rsoft.
I know more about panda3d on mac.

Up to present, do you think panda3d for mac is as stable as panda3d on pc?
If I write panda3d code on pc, do I need to change anything on mac?

Yup, it’s stable. Even Disney uses Panda3D on mac for their games as well.

And no, everything works the same on Mac as on Linux, as far as I know. You don’t need to change anything, unless you have some platform-specific code somewhere of course.

Great, pro-rsoft !!!

Something about mac:

1. What mac model would you suggest to buy for development games on mac?
  2. Could panda3d be run on standard mac (ie. without high-end nivida or ati)?

About Vikings projects
3. Vikings project looks interesting. If I want to join your projects for coding or 3d modelling 3 months later, what should I do?

1. I have no clue, sorry. I’m not a mac expert.
  2. Sure. Panda3D runs on very older machines too, even machines without a video card. Panda3D might almost run at my electric toaster :wink:
  3. Send me an e-mail :slight_smile:

For most development, an imac would be the best. They arnt too pricey and have good graphics and processing power. If you are really serious about some hardcore rendering, or you have lots of money, get a mac pro.

@jjbutler88: Thank you for your recommendation.

@pro-rsoft: I just sent you an email.