Newbie Q's?

Hi, Everyone. I’ve taken a look at Panda3d, downloaded it, and taken a look at some of the tutorials, etc. One thing that I’ve seen is that the Scene Editor is gone. Now my question is this; is it possible to create a scene - world, whatever in some other program and import it? I ask this because I’m interested in creating walk-thoughs and object placement is critical.
I hope that, if this is possible, I can then assign properties to the separate objects in the scene.

Thanks, Nando.

Hi Nando,

I’m no expert, however, I do know that you can create your scene in your favorite 3d modeling program: Maya, 3ds Max, Blender etc… convert to .egg format and there you go!

Steve

Thanks for the very quick reply. I did some research and found that I can import from milkshape, which I have. My follow up question is - If I import a scene with several objects in it, say a floor, a table, and a chair, can I access these objects individually? Or is the entire scene loaded as a single object?

Thanks, Nando.

Nando,

From my experience it’s one-piece. For instance, I create a scene in Maya that consists of terrain, buildings etc… and all that is static.

I then just export that scene to an .egg and load it into the Panda and with another .egg file load my character.

There is nothing stopping you from creating all the pieces and then putting them together, I guess it’s just easier to make an environment type .egg file that is static.

Steve

Note that you can usually extract out the individual pieces that make up a single egg file using a NodePath.find() command. Very little about a model will generally be truly monolithic, unless it is represented as a single polyset in your modeling package. See the Panda3D manual for more on this subject.

David

Thanks for all the info.

The main reason I would have in importing an entire scene would be for object placement. I guess I could import the most important elements, that is the ones that require critical placement as one set, and import the movable ones separately. One concern that I have is with collission modes.
Some of the demos included are pretty neat. I guess I’ll have to read a lot and study the demos.

-Nando.

Yeah, trial and error is what I’ve been doing for a while now.

What you’ll find is that Panda3d can do a lot, it’s just you have to implement it!

I know, sounds funny. :slight_smile:

They keep adding tutorials that helps, like the “Roaming Ralph” I think it’s called. That’s a good one for navigation with a character and collision detection.