Networking in panda

Wiki says that networking/the documentation is still t work and I should ask here. So is the networking-component usable? How far is the documentation? Is it deprecated? Or is it a good place to start, it would work and not all features are documentated yet?
If that information is deprecated but networking works, where would be a good place to start?

Pinging @wolf, who has been working on the networking documentation, and may be best positioned to answer this.

The manual has a rather good overview of the networking components and how to use them now. There are a few more things that I discovered and learned about just recently (like UberDOGs and the related Object Manager). I hopefully will be able to add them to the manual in the near future.

Other than that, the networking system is definitely usable and as far as I know not deprecated and won’t be in the near future.

If you’d start writing a networked application, I’d be glad to know if anything in the manual is missing or unclear so I can extend it. You can also take a look at the game that I developed while writing the manual to also see how some of the currently undocumented features work in practice:

Smaller examples also are awaiting approval to be included with the engine. You can check them here:

Thank you. I fear what I need won’t be that extensive but if anything comes to my attention i will write it down here.

Do I get that right that I have to specify a port and it is impossible to assign a port that is free automatically/look for a free port?

Generally you are able to specify port 0 to listen to a free port, though I’ve never tried if this works in Panda’s system.

I just tried and yes, setting 0 sets a random usable port. I just haven’t found a way to prgrammatically get the port from the connection which the server opens. Using netstat though one can easily check the used port.