Mouse events ignored in display region

Hi to all,

I’m attempting to listen to mouse events when the mouse cursor is within a display region but it appears as if the events are not being recorded then. For example:

def dpMenuZoneMouseZoomSettings(self,key,value):
      self.dpLinkMouseZoomKeys[key]=value
self.dpLinkMouseZoomKeys={"wheel-in":0,"wheel-out":0}
base.accept("wheel_up", self.dpMenuZoneMouseZoomSettings, ["wheel-in", 1])

Restricting it further to act only when the mouse cursor is within the display region yields nothing:

def dpMenuZoneMouseZoomSettings(self,key,value):
      if(self.displayRegionMouseWatcher.hasMouse()):
          self.dpLinkMouseZoomKeys[key]=value

Whenever the mouse cursor is outside the display region in question, the event “wheel_up” is heard and the value of “wheel-in” changes to 1. However, whenever the mouse cursor is inside the display region in question, the event “wheel_up” is not heard and no change occurs.

So how would one go about ensuring that the mouse-based events (mouse1,mouse2,mouse3,wheel_up,wheel_down) are heard when the mouse cursor is within an active display region in the scene?

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Did you follow this page in the manual to create a new DisplayRegion with its own MouseWatcher? If so, note that it doesn’t mention that you will also need to attach a ButtonThrower to that MouseWatcher if you want it to generate mouse button events:

btn_thrower = ButtonThrower("my_btn_thrower")
mouse_watcher.attachNewNode(btn_thrower)

If that doesn’t fix it, could you elaborate a bit on how you set things up?

Hi,

I never knew that so I didn’t attach a ButtonThrower to it, however attempting to do this:

self.dpRegionLinkMouseWatcher = MouseWatcher()
       base.mouseWatcher.getParent().attachNewNode(self.dpRegionLinkMouseWatcher) 
       self.dpRegionLinkMouseWatcher.setDisplayRegion(self.mounterMountedRelationsLinkDisplayRegion)
       self.dpRegionLinkMouseWatcher.attachNewNode(btn_thrower)

Yields this error:

AttributeError: 'panda3d.core.MouseWatcher' object has no attribute 'attachNewNode'

So I’ve been unable to test whether or not your solution would work…:anguished:

Ah, I didn’t make it clear that it’s not the MouseWatcher itself (a PandaNode) but a NodePath referencing the MouseWatcher that the ButtonThrower needs to be attached to.

So it should be something like this:

self.dpRegionLinkMouseWatcher = MouseWatcher()
# we need a NodePath referencing the MouseWatcher PandaNode, so we can attach
# a ButtonThrower to it later on
mw = base.mouseWatcher.getParent().attachNewNode(self.dpRegionLinkMouseWatcher) 
self.dpRegionLinkMouseWatcher.setDisplayRegion(self.mounterMountedRelationsLinkDisplayRegion)
mw.attachNewNode(btn_thrower)

Thanks a lot as always! That worked perfectly.