MAYA texture questions?

I exported the MAYA .mb file to .egg file. When I created my model I assigned my own texture on it. I load the model in Panda3D, and run the code. But the model is blank! What’s wrong? I think I may miss some steps. Hope somebody can help me!
Thanks a lot!

Blank ? It must be white, right ?
How did you assign the texture (in detail), and how did you export your scene ?

The first thing to check for is texture coordinates–make sure your model has texture coordinates defined for its vertices. You can tell this by looking for lines that include the string “” in the egg file. If you didn’t apply a texture in Maya, it probably doesn’t.

David

Yes, I check the .egg file, I can find ‘’ tag for each vertice.
When I run my code, the following warning message shows:

Panda3D cannot find my texture! I indeed put them in the directory where my scripts are. It seems that Panda tries to find textures in c/Panda3D-1.3.2/etc/…, I only see two .prc there. I have no idea what’s going on!

Yes, it’s totally white. Have you met similar problem.
I made three seperate JPG files for one material. One for the ‘Color’, another for the ‘bump map’, the last for ‘specular color’. Then I assigned the material to the faces selected. After that I selected objects I want to have,and drag the ‘MayaPandaTool’ into my workarea, click ‘export’ using the default setting. At last, I put all the images used on my model in the scripts’ location. That’s all. Do I miss some steps?
Thanks!

1. So, you haven’t created texture coordinate for your model. Then the texture wouldn’t be visible too in Maya, right ? It must be white stripes instead, indicating there is no assigned UV. You must perform texture mapping to define the UV. Edit Polygons>Texture>XXXXXX Mapping.
  2. Maya2egg only read the color channel, the other channels (bump, specular, etc.) are ignored.
  3. The default of texture path created by maya2egg is relative to the exported .egg. You must copied your textures to the wrong directory.

For fast convert & pview, you can use libmayapview[version].mll. Find it in PandaInstall/plugins, and copy it to MayaInstall/bin/plug-ins. To pview your scene from Maya, type pview in Maya command line. It will convert & pview the selected objects, or all objects if nothing selected. Just make sure you’re not selecting non-geometry/group objects.

Where do you drag MayaPandaTool from ? If you have to find it first on your disk, it would be painful ! You can save the script to Maya shelf, and click the icon to launch it, as I wrote in the manual.

BTW, what’s your final project ?

Actually, I can see the texture in Maya.

I followed your instruction, but an error comes out:
[color=red]Error: Cannot find procedure “pview”

I’m sure about the MAYA version! :confused:

So, your model has UV already. Then it’s a serious problem.
How does it look in Maya ? If you don’t mind, post a screenshot of it and perhaps the UV snapshot.
What kind of render node is connected to the color channel ?

Window>Setting/Preferences>Plug-in Manager
Find libmayapview and check the auto-load option.

This is what I got in MAYA. I didn’t use the ‘Pivew’, since there’s nothing in the window. I guess it must be related to the coordinate.

The other picture is what I got in the Panda3D window when I run my code

This time I want to make things easy, so I didn’t use my own texture file and only draw a ball. What I did in MAYA is just assigning ‘Phong’ material, and the ‘Marble’ 3D texture.
Thanks for helping!

Laura

3D texture is not converted by maya2egg. Only 2 kind of textures are recognized :
the standard 2D texture and the layered texture

There :

Thanks!
I did what you say. Assign 2d texture from a file, copy it to the scripts’ location. But nothing changes. The ball is still white. I may make very stupid mistake, missing some steps, but I don’t know. Sorry for bother again!

@Aq_La: Do the following steps:

1. Make sure it’s a Panda3D compatible image format. (PNG, JPG, …)
  2. Place the texture file in the same directory as the .egg model
  3. Open the .egg model with your favorite text editor
  4. On the top of the file you see some textures defined. If not, you don’t have it correctly exported.
  5. Change the texture paths and make them relative. For example, change ./…/…/…/myfolder/mydir/texture.png to texture.png
  6. Pview using a console. If it doesn’t work, it probably gives an error message.

Thanks a lot! I’ve made such a stupid mistake that I copy the texture images to a wrong dir. :blush: Sorry for bothering! :exclamation:

Another Q: when I run my code, some faces in the model is missing. I guess I must apply the normals o the faces in a wrong way. Then I reversed those normals. Then I ‘pview’ my model, it’s ok, every face is visible with its texture. However, when I run my code, some faces of the model is still invisible. What’s the matter?? :confused:
Thanks in advance!

Now I solve the face missing problem by adding option -bface to the export command. It is said that double face model will double the rendering time.
Actually, I don’t need double face, what I want is making specific faces visible. Is there some better method to achieve this?
Thanks!

Nah…what had I said since the beginning ?
For your new problem, read –[THIS]–