Lua in Panda3D....

Hi there…

I’m starting to try and port the Python code to Lua. I think that’s the first step to port Panda3D to the Wii console.
little steps, first, port all Python to Lua.
After that, install core functionality of libocg (GX, wiiuse…) into Panda3D.

Anyone wants to try?

Here are my thoughts about panda3d on the Wii:

A. Porting Python to the Wii would be better. Panda3d already has native python support, adding Lua would be much tougher than just porting python to the Wii. Python’s been ported to Android/iPhone/x86/arm/etc, what’s stopping anyone from compiling it for the Wii?

B. Before you port Python and Panda3d, just port the C++ Panda app’s (like pview) to the Wii, Panda3d has no requirement for Python, and although people will want Python in the end, you should work on the C++ panda first.

This is just my opinion though.
~powerpup118

[i]Here are my thoughts about panda3d on the Wii:

A. Porting Python to the Wii would be better. Panda3d already has native python support, adding Lua would be much tougher than just porting python to the Wii. Python’s been ported to Android/iPhone/x86/arm/etc, what’s stopping anyone from compiling it for the Wii?[/i]

No technical thing is stopping anyone. Is just that anyone is doing it. And since Lua is extremely simple even in it’s core(more than Py in my opinion), it’s already completely ported.
But the most important thing in my opinion is: Speed! Nobody can argue with that: Lua is one of the top 2 faster scripting languange. And since Wii’s hardware is not that much of a great thing, just a ppc 750Mhz, I mean, come on! Today even the cheapest notebook comes with a dual-core of 2Ghz! In aspect of all that, I strongelly recomend Lua.
And since the Py part of Panda3D is on top of the C++ engine, it’s not really that hard to do…
Also, Lua has been used as scripting in games by a great number of really BIG companies, such as: LucasArtEnt. Ubisoft. Blizzard(Wow)… I’d say there’s a reason why they use it, and it’s really well tested in the game field. Python, not so much.

B. Before you port Python and Panda3d, just port the C++ Panda app’s (like pview) to the Wii, Panda3d has no requirement for Python, and although people will want Python in the end, you should work on the C++ panda first.

Some notes on that:
1- Iff the Panda app is wrapped in Py, I’ll only be able to run it on the PC.
2- Even if it’s only in C++, it’s not doable, because Panda doesn’t suport GX protocol, only DX and GL, of the latter, none exists in Wii. Again here, I can only crosscompile and run on the PC with a ppc emulator.

Again here, I would recomend my earliest proposal:
1 - Add Lua to Panda3D (on the PC, and will work on every other plataform with GL,DX).
2- Add the GX protocol on the C++ internal part, and that’s more hardcore work.
3- Add Driver of the wiimote, motionPlus, nunchuck…Wii controls in general, into C++ engine of Panda.
4- Use devikitPPC, crosscompile, load to Wii and cross ur fingers!

This is just my opinion though.
~powerpup118

Hey…It’s a forum u know? It’s suposed to be like this. :slight_smile:

I’m not extremely sure about your claim, anyway I think this isn’t important. If you need speed, you’d better avoid a scripting language, Lua included. If you need a scripting language for performance-critical parts, there’s some error in the design of the game. A scripting language should be used where you’ve no performance needs, so speed shouldn’t be an important criterion. That said, Lua has pros and cons, and I think that memory footprint may be a more valid advantage, and also its slimness (if you need porting).

I think everyone here would be happy if Panda3d had other languages bindings, because this would expose Panda to more users. But, since I consider Python more adequate (for my projects) than Lua, I hope that the first choice of Panda will always be Python. With a community Lua project.

Python has been used in games with more scripting requirements (Civilization), where its power is justified. And it’s used in many other sectors, where its power is required.

There exist Python portings. Surely do portings for Lua is simpler, since of its slimness.