Loaded models appear as gray blob, what gives?

Just jabbing. More to the point though: I’ve used blend2bam with model files originally made in blender 2.7x, then converted to 2.9x, uv mapped and exported via blend2bam. Once loaded they appear as gray boxes. No shading or texturing to be seen.

Through my google searching I’ve found similar problems but I don’t understand blender as well as I’d like and even less with the UI change.

Can somebody assist? Thank you!

I can’t post a picture…

I want to note that no one has guaranteed the work of the exporter script in new versions of blender. Why do you expect this to work?

These sequence numbers indicate major changes to the API and functions, as well as the internal format. Each script is guaranteed to work in the range of for example 2.70 - 2.79.

blend2bam has been tested and still works on 2.91.

Are you using nodal materials? The glTF exporter that blend2bam relies on can be rather picky about materials: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/import_export/scene_gltf2.html#exported-materials

Dude I have no idea. I just kind of assumed that it was kept up to date with the thing that its built for. Guess I was wrong. I did try this with blender 2.7x and it did the same thing.

@Moguri I don’t even know what a nodal material is. Is it something in the new fancy cycles renderer? I’ve barely used it.

In the material properties there is a big “Use Nodes” button. The Blender 2.80+ (including 2.90+) builtin glTF exporter will only handle materials if this “Use Nodes” button is selected (and only material using the Principled BSDF node). I think that is finally changing with 2.92. Prior to 2.80, this was primarily a Cycles thing, so I wouldn’t be surprised if a 2.7x material wasn’t using them. However, for 2.7x, blend2bam is using a glTF exporter that is quite a bit more flexible (although, it didn’t support material nodes).

If you could upload a blend file here or in a private message, I could take a look and see if there are any gotchas with the setup.

For the record I had to not only check “Use Nodes” but I also had to specify an image texture within the Nodes UI. Once that was enabled there was some initial messing around with the various settings to get the image to show up as a surface texture. Here’s some pictures for anyone who has this problem in the future: