Ligth/model problem?

I get a problem when adding a point ligth to my scen. Im exporting the model from maya. The shading groups looks fine in maya but not so fine in panda…
Way is this?

There are not enough vertices in your model. When you use basic per-vertex lighting, such as Panda uses to implement PointLight and friends, the lighting calculation is only performed once per vertex, and then linearly interpolated between vertices.

Subdivide your wall into, say, a 10x10 grid, or denser.

David

i did as you said width anouther model. I still have problems with the shading.

The model is heavaly subdivided.

Hmm. This could be a Panda problem I’ve seen in conjunction with having ‘retained-mode 1’ in your Config.prc. Or it could be just a driver issue.

Are you running OpenGL or DirectX? What happens if you switch to the other mode?

David

sorry but i cant find “retained-mode 1” anyware in my Config.prc.

Right, so it’s not that particular Panda bug.

Are you running OpenGL or DirectX? What happens if you switch to the other mode?

David

load-display pandagl : Thats what is in ther now.

I tested: load-display pandadx8 : is this the rigth way of using dx?
But with the same problem still ther…

Im running a Ati radeon 9800XT with the latest official drivers.

Hmm. I think this might be a Panda bug that has been fixed in Panda 1.1. We have not yet released Panda 1.1, but we should be ready to release it in just a few weeks. Is this something you wouldn’t mind waiting a little bit for?

David

looking forward to it =)
By the way, is there any info about what you are planning to add/change in the 1.1?

As I understand it, there are a lot of changes, but here are some of the big ones:

• Will be able to render high-polygon models faster.

• Support for bump maps and other shaders.

• Support for environment maps.

• Faster python-to-C calling interface.

Actually, we have seen that error before. When Shao and I were working on the lighting tutorial, that came up frequently. The solution ended up being to add slight bits of noise to the vertex positions. Not enough to see really, but enough to convince the exporter that it wasn’t a flat surface. We were never quite sure why it worked, but it lead me to suspect problems in normals exported from maya2egg in the case of flat surfaces. Hopefully it’s fixed in 1.1.

I dont think its realy an exporter problem. I tryed max, maya, and blender, and i had the same problem. But if i do as you say Augur things work as i want them to do.

Tnx!