Is this a normal fps drop?

Before I place my Mouse Cursor over the game window, the fps is at 390. The moment I place the Mouse Cursor over the window the fps falls between 320 and 330.

I’m considering this normal, but I want to make sure this “Mouse over the Window” fps drop is normanl and not related to damaging code on my part.

I didn’t notice this until just now, today.

you should measure all your performance in milliseconds instead of FPS, as FPS are very very misleading.

390 fps → 2.564103 ms/frame
320 fps → 3.125000 ms/frame

hovering your mouse over the panda window takes: 0.561 ms

if you would start with 30 fps, that would bring your performance to 29.5fps.

this is hardly a “drop”. if you have some gui-elements that watch the mouse position to respond to inputs and on-hovers that could very well take half a millisecond of computing time.

I figured it was not an issue and didn’t even bother looking through code; especially since I have been careful enough (maybe a bit too careful).

390 fps
320 fps

1000 milli = 1 sec

1000/390 = 2.56 milli
1000/320 = 3.12 milli

Has anyone ever thought to themselves, what should a good frame look like in milli using P3D?

Yeah, yeah…I know. A lot of it depends on the type of game your making. :smiley:

60 fps = 16.66 milli

I guess you really can’t say…

But hey! None of use want 10 fps, that much I can say. :laughing:

From around 24 FPS upwards the human eye/brain recognizes slideshows as animations. Everything above makes the viewing less stressing, but the illusion of movement needs nothig more.

On a big screen, with fast moving objects 24 fps can be a bit low without motion blur, so 30+ would be good. Anything above 60 is a overkill unless the extra framerate is needed for a.i. or some other offscreen simulation.

So would you say a larger monitor will cause the overall fps to drop some because of the screen area that needs to be filled (vs a smaller monitor)

or would you say it doesn’t matter, because a graphic card will fill the screen on a larger monitor with the same speed as a smaller one?

Or course, based on the same game resolution.

I have some friends that love to argue about this question.

I myself don’t believe monitor size matters, just resolution.

The graphics card is not interested in the physical size of the display.

It will take the same time for an object to move across the screen, but if the screen is physicaly bigger then the speed of that object will be faster (speed=distance/time).
Some people may see the movement as jagged, but just in some scenarios and I can’t realy quote any numbers (I’ve read some papers on this topic, but I’m not sure how reliable they are).