Invalid argument build error

compiling on vc express 2008 the CVS version throws the following error.
here is the error:
[ 7%] Building Interrogate database built/pandac/input/libexpress.in
Storing dependency cache.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 4138, in
RunDependencyQueue(DEPENDENCYQUEUE)
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 4135, in RunDependencyQueue
SequentialMake(tasklist)
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 4127, in SequentialMake
apply(task[0], task[1] + [(i * 100.0) / len(tasklist)])
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 976, in CompileAnything
return CompileIgate(target, inputs, opts)
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 669, in CompileIgate
oscmd(cmd)
File “C:\Panda3d\panda3d\makepanda\makepandacore.py”, line 185, in oscmd
res = os.spawnl(os.P_WAIT, exe, cmd)
File “C:\Panda3d\panda3d\thirdparty\win-python\lib\os.py”, line 607, in spawnl
return spawnv(mode, file, args)
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

Please append --verbose to the commandline and post the output.

Here it is:

C:\Panda3d\panda3d>makepanda\makepanda.bat --everything --verbose
Generating dependencies…
built/bin/interrogate -srcdir panda/src/express -Ipanda/src/express -Dvolatile -Dmutable -DCPPPARSER -D__STDC__=1 -D__cplusplus -D__inline -longlong _int64 -D_X86 -DWIN32_VC -D_WIN32 -D_MSC_VER=1500 -D"_declspec(param)=" -D_near -D_far -D__near -D__far -D__s
tdcall -DFORCE_INLINING -oc built/tmp/libexpress_igate.cxx -od built/pandac/input/libexpress.in -fnames -string -refcount -assert -python-native -Sbuilt/include/parser-inc -Ipanda/src/express -Sthirdparty/win-python/include -Sthirdparty/win-libs-vc9/zlib/inclu
de -Sthirdparty/win-libs-vc9/openssl/include -Sbuilt/tmp -Sbuilt/include -DBUILDING_PANDAEXPRESS -module pandaexpress -library libexpress buffer.h checksumHashGenerator.h circBuffer.h compress_string.h config_express.h copy_stream.h datagram.h datagramGenerato
r.h datagramIterator.h datagramSink.h dcast.h encrypt_string.h error_utils.h export_dtool.h express_composite.cxx hashGeneratorBase.h hashVal.h indirectLess.h memoryInfo.h memoryUsage.h memoryUsagePointerCounts.h memoryUsagePointers.h multifile.h namable.h nod
ePointerTo.h nodePointerToBase.h nodeReferenceCount.h openSSLWrapper.h ordered_vector.h pStatCollectorForwardBase.h password_hash.h patchfile.h pointerTo.h pointerToArray.h pointerToArrayBase.h pointerToBase.h pointerToVoid.h profileTimer.h pta_float.h pta_uch
ar.h ramfile.h referenceCount.h stringDecoder.h subStream.h subStreamBuf.h textEncoder.h threadSafePointerTo.h threadSafePointerToBase.h trueClock.h typedReferenceCount.h typedef.h unicodeLatinMap.h vector_float.h vector_uchar.h virtualFile.h virtualFileCompos
ite.h virtualFileList.h virtualFileMount.h virtualFileMountMultifile.h virtualFileMountSystem.h virtualFileSimple.h virtualFileSystem.h weakPointerCallback.h weakPointerTo.h weakPointerToBase.h weakPointerToVoid.h weakReferenceList.h windowsRegistry.h zStream.
h zStreamBuf.h
SequentialMake(tasklist)
oscmd(cmd)

We are in your hands

:slight_smile:

whats happening here?
SequentialMake(tasklist)
oscmd(cmd)

just wanted to say that I am getting the same exact error with the latest cvs version on vista64; just after libexpress.in and everything.

I’m using vista 32 and python 2.5.4. I guess this could be related to python version. any clues?

I have just now tried it with 2.5.4, 2.4.2, and 2.6, all with the same result. It seems like it is not a python version problem??

after digging it appears that the executable interrogate.exe is not a valid exe, the “side-by-side” configuration is incorrect–in fact all of the executables that are in the built/bin folder at this point have this error except for cgc.exe

any suggestions?

I have no clue. It seems that the paramater pased in makepandacore.py is corrupted someway to what python os module expects.
I hope somebody in the dev team takes a look soon.

no, the error is that os can’t find the executable, and I scratched my head at this for a while, but the reason is that built/bin/interrogate.exe is not a valid executable file. Test this by going there and trying to run it directly. What to do about this, I don’t know.

you’re right.
the exe is corrupted.I already tried replaceing it with a previous working version of interrogate.exe but still no joy.
Something is really wrong.

I’m still investigating the problem. Please do not double-post, that won’t help anyone.

sorry for the double post. We’re pulling our hairs here.

Hi all,

I am getting the same error when I try to compile the latest CVS. Was this problem solved for anyone?

Thanks a lot!
Goutham

I tried compiling panda on windows for the first time today and i am getting the same error.

D:\pandasrc\panda3d>makepanda\makepanda --everything --verbose
Generating dependencies…
built/bin/interrogate -srcdir panda/src/express -Ipanda/src/express -Dvolatile -
Dmutable -DCPPPARSER -D__STDC__=1 -D__cplusplus -D__inline -longlong int64 -D
X86
-DWIN32_VC -D_WIN32 -D_MSC_VER=1500 -D"_declspec(param)=" -D_near -D_far -D
_near -D__far -D__stdcall -DFORCE_INLINING -oc built/tmp/libexpress_igate.cxx -
od built/pandac/input/libexpress.in -fnames -string -refcount -assert -python-na
tive -Sbuilt/include/parser-inc -Ipanda/src/express -Sthirdparty/win-python/incl
ude -Sthirdparty/win-libs-vc9/zlib/include -Sthirdparty/win-libs-vc9/openssl/inc
lude -Sbuilt/tmp -Sbuilt/include -DBUILDING_PANDAEXPRESS -module pandaexpress -l
ibrary libexpress buffer.h checksumHashGenerator.h circBuffer.h compress_string.
h config_express.h copy_stream.h datagram.h datagramGenerator.h datagramIterator
.h datagramSink.h dcast.h encrypt_string.h error_utils.h export_dtool.h express

composite.cxx hashGeneratorBase.h hashVal.h indirectLess.h memoryInfo.h memoryUs
age.h memoryUsagePointerCounts.h memoryUsagePointers.h multifile.h namable.h nod
ePointerTo.h nodePointerToBase.h nodeReferenceCount.h openSSLWrapper.h ordered_v
ector.h pStatCollectorForwardBase.h password_hash.h patchfile.h pointerTo.h poin
terToArray.h pointerToArrayBase.h pointerToBase.h pointerToVoid.h profileTimer.h
pta_float.h pta_uchar.h ramfile.h referenceCount.h stringDecoder.h subStream.h
subStreamBuf.h textEncoder.h threadSafePointerTo.h threadSafePointerToBase.h tru
eClock.h typedReferenceCount.h typedef.h unicodeLatinMap.h vector_float.h vector
_uchar.h virtualFile.h virtualFileComposite.h virtualFileList.h virtualFileMount
.h virtualFileMountMultifile.h virtualFileMountSystem.h virtualFileSimple.h virt
ualFileSystem.h weakPointerCallback.h weakPointerTo.h weakPointerToBase.h weakPo
interToVoid.h weakReferenceList.h windowsRegistry.h zStream.h zStreamBuf.h
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 4161, in
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 4158, in RunDependencyQueue
SequentialMake(tasklist)
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 4150, in SequentialMake
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 986, in CompileAnything
File “makepanda\makepanda.py”, line 675, in CompileIgate
oscmd(cmd)
File “D:\pandasrc\panda3d\makepanda\makepandacore.py”, line 185, in oscmd
File “D:\pandasrc\panda3d\thirdparty\win-python\Lib\os.py”, line 607, in spawn
l

I’ll have some more time this weekend to investigate the issue.

Okay guys, I’ve just checked in a fix for this to Panda CVS. I still have no clue what the problem was, but rewriting a couple of functions somehow fixed it.
Try it and let me know if it works now. :slight_smile:

Thanks allot.

I will compile and leave it on over night and let you know tomorrow if nobody else does first.

Thanks, it compiled, and the samples ran (although Boxing-Robots gives an error about a missing function upcastToPandaNode); however I was having trouble with paths and so decided to build an installer. The output:

Building Panda3D installer. This can take up to an hour.
Note: you are using zlib, which is faster, but lzma gives better compression.
warning: File: "C:\Users\mindstormss\Programming\panda support\panda3d-source\cv
spanda\panda3d\built\plugins\*.dle" -> no files found. (C:\Users\mindstormss\Pro
gramming\panda support\panda3d-source\cvspanda\panda3d\direct\src\directscripts\
packpanda.nsi:138)
warning: File: "C:\Users\mindstormss\Programming\panda support\panda3d-source\cv
spanda\panda3d\built\plugins\*.dlo" -> no files found. (C:\Users\mindstormss\Pro
gramming\panda support\panda3d-source\cvspanda\panda3d\direct\src\directscripts\
packpanda.nsi:139)
spanda\panda3d\built\plugins\*.mll" -> no files found. (C:\Users\mindstormss\Pro
packpanda.nsi:140)
File: "C:\Users\mindstormss\Programming\panda" -> no files found.
Usage: File [/nonfatal] [/a] ([/r] [/x filespec [...]] filespec [...] |
   /oname=outfile one_file_only)
Error in script "C:\Users\mindstormss\Programming\panda support\panda3d-source\c
vspanda\panda3d\direct\src\directscripts\packpanda.nsi" on line 142 -- aborting
creation process
Elapsed Time: 53 sec

Build terminated.

note that the cvs directory was C:\users\mindstormss\Programming\panda support\panda3d-source\cvspanda\panda3d.

I do not have a C:\users\mindstormss\programming\panda folder. Can anyone point to what went wrong?

her we go again with ffmpeg on windows:
C:\panda3d\panda3d>python makepanda\makepanda.py --everything --verbose
Generating dependencies…
[ 26%] Building C++ object built/tmp/movies_composite1.obj
cl /wd4996 /wd4275 /wd4267 /wd4101 /Fobuilt/tmp/movies_composite1.obj /nologo /c /Ipanda/src/movies /Ithirdparty/win-python/include /Ithirdparty/win-libs-vc9/ffmpeg/include /Ibuilt/tmp /Ibuilt/include /MD /Zi /O2 /Ob2 /DFORCE_INLINING /Fdbuilt/tmp/movies_comp
osite1.pdb /DBUILDING_PANDA /EHsc /Zm300 /DWIN32_VC /DWIN32 /W3 panda/src/movies/movies_composite1.cxx
movies_composite1.cxx
c:\panda3d\panda3d\panda\src\movies\ffmpegAudioCursor.cxx(19) : fatal error C1083: Can’t open include file: ‘libavcodec/avcodec.h’: No such file or directory
Elapsed Time: 7 sec

Build terminated.