Installation on linuxmint-19.1-cinnamon-64bit

Hey Hi, I’m new, in general I installed linux mint-19.1 for the first time and the most amazing thing is that I gathered the panda from the sources without any problems inherent in Windoms - I think this is a dream. As a result, I received the installation package panda3d1.10_1.10.1_amd64 which was safely installed, of course, this may seem strange to the Windows user.

I tried to run the examples in Python, got:

Traceback (last call was the last):
File "main.py", line 16, in <module>
from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase
ImportError: There is no module named direct.showbase.ShowBase

in the case of python3

Traceback (last call was the last):
File "main.py", line 16, in <module>
from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'direct'

Actually, the question arose how to find out for which version the installation package is intended or is it better to compile from the very beginning for a specific version of python?

When you were building from source, were there any warnings about missing packages in the beginning? If you are missing python-dev or python3-dev, for example, it won’t build the Python bindings, and it will warn about Python being missing at the beginning of the build.

The version of Python that is built against is the version you run makepanda.py with.

I followed the manual and used this line:

sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config fakeroot python-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev zlib1g-dev libssl-dev libx11-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libxrandr-dev libxxf86dga -dev libxcursor-dev bison flex libfreetype6-dev libvorbis-dev libeigen3-dev libopenal-dev libode-dev libbullet-dev nvidia-cg-toolkit libgtk2.0-dev libassimp-dev libopenexr-dev

I ran makepanda.py through python3, however I did not watch the console. I think it is better to repeat the build process again.

You installed python-dev, but you ran makepanda with python3. If you want to build with Python 3, you’ll have to install python3-dev.