Im new can you answer a few questions please

Is there a way that i can use an obj model instead of an egg? if not is there a way that i can turn an obj into an egg? if not that too how do i make custom eggs?

the next question is can i make a Nintendo DSish online play mode? you know where it finds random opponents over the web.

next, well there was a game that i was making with game maker and i had a fear that it would lag, and thats what got me here, so can i use this to make a game that is played similar to Smash Bros, cuz the game i was making with game maker will have those controls and rules.

and last, when i tried to run some things like fire files sample, and cartoon shader, it didn’t work and just drew this "FireFly Demo: video driver reports shaders are not supported

thanks

You would have to write your own importer to use obj files, Panda doesn’t support them natively.
Panda does support its own format (egg/bam) and the DirectX model format (.x).
Panda itself comes with some tools that could be found in Panda-1.x.x\bin
some of them can convert various other model formats into Pandas egg format. There also are egg exporters for Maya, 3D Studio Max and Blender, if you got one of those, you should just use the exporters for them to save your models as eggs.

No, I don’t know, I never played Nintendo DS… But the answer to your question is pretty simple: You can do whatever the hell you want.

Again, I don’t know what you’re talking about… If you must refer to games, refer to the big ones please…
Anyway, the answer is: you can do whatever the hell you want. Panda3D is not something like game-maker… Panda3D is a FULL 3D engine with all features and all the complexity of a REAL engine (fortunately, thanks to the python bindings and great coding style, it is by no means as complex as other free engines, but still as powerfull).
So your only limits will be your skills in coding…

Obviously your video card doesn’t seem to support shaders. If you’ve got an older video card, you’re out of luck here. Or maybe your drivers aren’t the newest. But there’s still a slight chance, that it’s a Panda bug, since with the Version 1.4.0 there have been major changes in code, some of them might still be a bit buggy.

1. so its possible
  2. So weird…
  3. Smash Bros is a big game its probebly one of the biggest video games ever. Buttum it looks real simular the same as game maker based on the “absolute begginer” tutorial. buttum do you think it would be hard for me to learn, just because the program i was using before this was game maker?

Um, yeah. Super Smash Bros. is probably one of the biggest games ever.

Well I’ve never used game maker and I still have things to learn about Panda so I might not be the best one to answer this question, but I think overall Panda is one of the easiest engines out there.

The only thing is, based on what others have said, I guess programming an online game is hard. But that’s not a Panda specific problem, that goes for any engine.

Okay, any further comment on Smash Bros. will now only lead to a discussion PC vs. multiplatform vs. single console…

It’s not hard to learn programming, if you’re really up to it.
It’ll just take a while, especially if you’ve never programmed in any language before.
But Python and Panda are fairly easy to learn. You probably won’t write anything game like in the first few weeks, though.

well i am pretty good at gml, witch looks semi-similar to the language used in this so it cant be super hard.

i figure that if i can figure out how to make a mario bros like platformer then making a smashbros like game should be pretty easy, so can anyone give me a few good tips on how to make a mario like platformer? like: moving, gravity, how to make something affect another object on contact(fire balls kiling enemies).

thanks
-bluejay

Well, since Mario Bros. is a 2D game, you won’t need a 3D engine. You might be better off with pyGame, which is a 2D game library.

uhm, well, that’s called collision detection. There’s a whole chapter about that in the manual.
How you want to do movement is up to you. You might wanna have a look at the roaming ralph sample for a general idea about that. You can see there how key-presses are translated into character movement.
As for gravity, it’s faked in the original game, so you can fake it too. I’m telling you, because I don’t want your next question to be “how do I use the physics engine for gravity”, since that would be the ultimate overkill for something simple like that.

Ok then can you tell me if it would look simular to how i would put it in gml?
//running
if keyboard_check(“A”){
if place_free(x-5,y)
x-=5}
if keyboard_check(“A”){
if place_free(x+5,y)
x+=5}

//gravity
yboost += .5
if yboost > 10
yboost = 10 //set a limit
if place_free(x,y+yboost)
y += yboost

roaming ralf? is that the one with the little orange guy without a nose?

I think it would similar to it…
this

if place_free(...)

looks like some sort of 2D collision detection…
The gravity will be handles the same…

But you don’t need to call collision detection before every movement, you’ll have to act on the event of a collision. Meaning you’ll check and act on collision in another part of the code (probably even in another class)

just look at the roaming ralph tutorial… I don’t know what the guy looks like, but the fact that its folder and py file have “Roaming Ralph” in them should make it very easy to find.

ok thanks ill check it out.