I need help installing Chicken Exporter

I’m attempting to use Chicken with Blender but I’m having a problem, the instructions say it is easy but clearly it’s not. Here are the exact instructions:

"Installing Chicken is easy - you simply copy everything in this zip file into the root of your Blender scripts directory. (Except for this installation guide, which is not required, but it does no harm if it is also there.)

Under Linux you will typically find this in:
/home//.blender/scripts Under windows XP it can be in several typical places, depending on the choice made on installation. If in doubt simply try both and see which directory exists, and if nothing happens on copying into one try the other:
C:\Documents and Settings<username>\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\scripts
C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\scripts (This will be different if its installed elsewhere.)

Under Windows Vista it will typically be:
C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\scripts

WARNING: If you copy the script file into ‘C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\plugins’ it will appear in the exporter list but fail to actually run. It must be copied into one of the above folders.

Once installed a Chicken option should appear in Blender’s export menu."

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium and the problem is that none of these directories exist.

I’m attempting to use Chicken with Blender but I’m having a problem, the instructions say it is easy but clearly it’s not. Here are the exact instructions:

"Installing Chicken is easy - you simply copy everything in this zip file into the root of your Blender scripts directory. (Except for this installation guide, which is not required, but it does no harm if it is also there.)

Under Linux you will typically find this in:
/home//.blender/scripts Under windows XP it can be in several typical places, depending on the choice made on installation. If in doubt simply try both and see which directory exists, and if nothing happens on copying into one try the other:
C:\Documents and Settings<username>\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\scripts
C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\scripts (This will be different if its installed elsewhere.)

For instance it says to go here on Vista:
C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\scripts.

I go to C:\Users, there are 3 username folders there, I check all 3 but in none of them is there a folder called AppData, so that is where the search ends.

The Blender Foundation folder is actually located in C:\Program Files(x86)\Blender Foundation. From there I cleck on the Blender folder inside the Blender Foundation folder, I look for a file called .blender, none exists, so that search ended too before I got to this supposed “scripts” file it says I’m supposed to find.

So the problem is I can’t find out what directory I’m supposed to paste Chicken into.

Help is appreciated, thanks.

I am using the newest versions of Chicken and Blender.

newest version of blender? would that mean the 2.5 beta? cause for now chicken only supports the 2.4 series.

I also had a problem installing chicken: interface window won’t appear.
Fixed by setting appropriate permissions

sudo chmod 644 chicken_interface.py
in bpymodules

I have 2.49b, whatever that means. Does that qualify as a supported version?

I’m not a graphics artist of any kind, no interest in it, that’s why it makes it hard to really learn anything about these programs.

I’m solely a programmer and half the time I don’t even like that. I like trying to make games but if I can’t get graphics without making them myself then I won’t make them at all.

I just need Chicken to convert models to egg files.

2.49b is fine.
i dont have windows7 (to be precise i dont have windows at all for 6 years) so i cant exactly tell you where the folder in question is located. maybe windows’s search function is able to find the “.blender” folder. that folder should exist somewhere.

Yea I used it, “.blender” only returns blender.exe and “chicken_install.txt”, but only because it contains the text “.blender” in it’s installation instructions.

hm thats strange. how about the script folder. any results for that one?

Unfortunately the only “scripts” folder returned had to do with Gimp and not Blender…It wasn’t in the “Blender Foundation” folder at all for example.

So yea this is pretty weird. Blender appears to be working but maybe if I reinstall it’ll solve the problem but I doubt it.

Are there any other “blender to egg” converters worth looking at?

I suppose the problem is that AppData folder is hidden and windows won’t search among hidden folders.
You can try to switch “show hidden files” somewhere or use another app like total commander.
When done look in Users directory, it should be there.