Hiding the panda window

Hi all,

I’m currently searching for a way to hide the panda3D render window.
Ultimately, I’d like using the panda3D real-time render as a bitmap in a python module I’m writing, thus, I don’t need the panda window.

With help from ZeroByte’s PyQt tutorial I managed to obtain a real-time bitmap, now I can’t manage to hide this window.

Edit: It seems like the “window-type” config is currently broken, anyone knows more about it?

If any of you has a tip or a comment please feel free to post it!

“window-type none” is broken for pandadx8 or pandadx9. It works correctly on pandagl, if your driver properly supports offscreen buffers.

If your driver doesn’t support offscreen buffers, you might be out-of-luck. But you can always use a software renderer, like mesadisplay.

David

From what I understood, it should work under linux (since direct X is windows-based?) though I always get this standard error,

StandardError: Could not open window.

were defined.

On Linux, it heavily depends on your driver–driver support on Linux covers a wide spectrum of quality. Some drivers support glxPbuffers, and some don’t. If yours doesn’t, it won’t work, sorry.

David

@Manux: Isn’t it supposed to be

window-type none

instead of

window-type offscreen

?

Regards, Bigfoot29

No, he’s right. “window-type none” means to open no window or buffer at all (presumably you’ll open one yourself later). “window-type onscreen”, the default, means to open a normal window at startup. “window-type offscreen” means to create an invisible offscreen buffer at startup instead of a normal window.

The problem with “window-type offscreen” is that it requires creating a true, offscreen buffer; for obvious reasons, it can’t rely on the ParasiteBuffer. So any platform that can’t create an offscreen buffer won’t work. Also, our pandadx8/9 code crashes when you try to create an offscreen buffer before creating a true window.

David