Hexabots (was: Untitled Hexagonal Turn-Based Strategy RPG)

Hello! I’m new here… I started my first Panda3D project 2 weeks ago and I’ve got a working version now. It doesn’t do a whole lot yet, but it’s not bad for 2 weeks, thanks to Panda3D. :slight_smile:

My goal is to make a turn-based strategy RPG, similar to Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem. So far, I have a simple map editor (edit.py) and a very basic game engine (play.py) that loads the maps and lets you move your character around. I just wanted to share what I’ve got and maybe get some feedback. I work on web apps for a living, and I have some Python experience, but I’m new to game programming. Any pointers would be appreciated.

One specific thing I’m not sure about is whether I’m using FSMs as well as I could be, or if I should even be using them for the things I’m using them for. Do you typically use an FSM whenever there’s a thing that has multiple states (a mouse, for instance, where the buttons can be clicked or not, etc.), or do you save them for cases that match a certain level of complexity or set of criteria?

Anyway, here it is (80KB). There are instructions in the README file. Have fun!

Wow, this looks really good. Keep up the good work!

I like

Thanks!

In the past few days, I’ve been able to add some features to make my game more game-like, including simple animations, damage, and win/lose conditions. Also, each team can have multiple characters now.

New version here (82KB).

Here’s a screenshot for those who haven’t tried it yet and might be interested:

very nice ideed :slight_smile: that’s the right way to do a good game, start small. as you did. and then continue to add stuff.
keep up the good work.

greetings
thomas

Thanks for the encouragement!

I’ve reached a point where the game basically works and all that’s left to add are embellishments, so I expect things to get harder now. :slight_smile:

By the way, that last version had a few bugs including one that prevented the creation of new levels. Here’s a new version with the bugs fixed:

hextbs20090209.zip (83KB)

wow, well done there!
beautifully compact
:slight_smile:

Thanks, snap.

Not much new code recently, but I put the project in Google Code and wrote down some goals and plans on the wiki page.

code.google.com/p/hexabots/

yep, i think if you put some emphasis in character(bot) personalities and skills this game should be fun to play in the future!

I hope so. :slight_smile:

For now, this project is on the back burner because I’ve decided to try writing a map editor for Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX). I wrote a viewer a while back in Python without Panda3D, but I’m going to port it to Panda3D, reorganize it, and add some editing capabilities.

If anybody's interested, here's the thread I normally post to with news about the viewer:

ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=48467

There are quite a few other people in the FFT hacking community working on all kinds of different stuff. The community’s website is:

ffhacktics.com/